Special Masters Programs or MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seabreeze811

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to apply to some masters programs this year b/c i want to bring up my gpa (since my undergrad gpa is 3.3) first before i apply to any medical school. I am a little confused with which programs i should apply to. Should i apply to those special masters program that are typically 1 year (i.e. Boston Univ, georgetown, Finch, Loyola Chicago) and are structured to take actual medical school courses or medical science courses, or should I apply to Masters in Public Health (@ Boston Univ, NYMC , UCLA)???

Whatever program I choose, I want to do well in, but will either program help my application when I applyto medical school? I heard from a post-bac advisor from UCI that med school admissions do not look upon students with a degree in MPH favorably because they know it was easy to do well. Is that true? Which program will medical schools favor or would like to see if an applicant needs to redeem herself academically? HELP !!!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you need "redeeming," rather, just a little polishing :)

I'd do the Special Master's, do well, get into med school, and move on. Assuming your Science GPA's the same, you should get in, and doing well in graduate courses that are clearly related to med school will be the most convincing to adcoms. Also, you may be accepted into med school after the first year..

IMHO, an MPH is less convincing at the end of the day. SOME (but not all) adcoms will discriminate against it for being easy, even if it's not. I'd see what the job options are with an MD/MPH. If those options aren't appealing to you, then don't get it. Also keep in mind that there isn't a singular type of MPH; some focus on different facets of health; thus making some more "hardcore" than others.

sidewalkman said:
IMHO, an MPH is less convincing at the end of the day. SOME (but not all) adcoms will discriminate against it for being easy, even if it's not. I'd see what the job options are with an MD/MPH. If those options aren't appealing to you, then don't get it. Also keep in mind that there isn't a singular type of MPH; some focus on different facets of health; thus making some more "hardcore" than others.

The MPH is icing on the cake for students who are almost "worthy." But the MPH is a terrible degree if one is trying to compensate for a low GPA. There are better options for making up for a low GPA.

Even if your MPH is difficult, an adcom is not likely to give you the benefit of the doubt because MPH programs are known for being easy. The MPH is sort of the old school approach. 20 years ago, a person didn't have many options if he or she didn't get into medical school. Postbac programs and Special Masters didn't exist then so the MPH was "thing to do if you didn't get in." These days, there are so many better options if you want to get into medical school. The MPH is not the best approach to compensating for a weak GPA.

If your goal is to raise your GPA, then don't do the MPH. Do the MPH if you're interested in the content of the degree and want to eventually incorporate it into your practice.