Special masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajk1897

Reaction score
Who are these programs designed for? I have a 3.5 cGPA and hope to have a 3.3 sGPA after completing organic chemistry and biochemistry.

Members don't see this ad.

SMPs are usually for students who have completed prerequisite courses but don't have a great GPA so a post-bac program wouldn't make a ton of sense. You will need to perform well in an SMP as poor performance is worse for your application than applying without one.

What year are you? Do you have the opportunity to take upper level science courses? If so, you might not need an SMP.

See my response from your first thread that you posted where I answered this question twice, directly.

Sure, a 3.5 uGPA is still considered average and sub-competitive for most MD schools.. but some low-tiered it's decent and the chances for applicants with that GPA in combination with 512+ MCAT have 60-70% historical acceptance rates. SMPs again are extreme measures for candidates with GPAs <3.0 that have no other options. SMP for someone in your position is a very unnecessary risk and I would recommend that you look into these options discussed (e.g. postbacc, how that affects uGPA, SMPs, etc.) to get a better understanding of your options/my advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
SMPs are usually for students who have completed prerequisite courses but don't have a great GPA so a post-bac program wouldn't make a ton of sense. You will need to perform well in an SMP as poor performance is worse for your application than applying without one.

What year are you? Do you have the opportunity to take upper level science courses? If so, you might not need an SMP.
I am graduating in August. Those are the only prerequisites I haven't taken. None of my other grades are less than a C of which I have 2.

See my response from your first thread that you posted where I answered this question twice, directly.
I have read your response and it makes sense. I put this question in the wrong place with the original post. I was just trying to see if anyone is in a similar situation.

You honestly don't need it. Just take the courses that you have left and your good to go.
But at the end of the day, do you.

Who are these programs designed for? I have a 3.5 cGPA and hope to have a 3.3 sGPA after completing organic chemistry and biochemistry.

I would never get a “special” degree unless I have a poor gpa which in my opinion yours is good not excellent but definitely good. Only get degrees that help your career/income. If you want to be a doctor of some sort. If you do fine on the entry exam your gpa will suffice.

It's not just about the GPA, the SMPs allow the medical faculty to get to know the applicant, and the applicant can demonstrate he or she can handle the stress and workload.

It's not just about the GPA, the SMPs allow the medical faculty to get to know the applicant, and the applicant can demonstrate he or she can handle the stress and workload.

Sure, required for applicants <3.0. But >3.0 shouldn't spend sickening amounts of money ~50-60K for a "special" masters that just lets faculty get to know them. That's a very overpriced networking entry fee.

Sure, required for applicants <3.0. But >3.0 shouldn't spend sickening amounts of money ~50-60K for a "special" masters that just lets faculty get to know them. That's a very overpriced networking entry fee.

I agree ... a one year MS for ~$21 in an affordable area is fair.