Special Needs Summer Volunteer/Mission Trip?

Started by xnfs93hy
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

xnfs93hy

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am thinking about doing some kind of special needs volunteer work this summer but do not know exactly where to start.

I was only able to find one camp which goes by the name of "Camp Barnabas."

It is a special needs summer camp that kids go to for one week out of the summer. However, I tried applying a few months ago and they said every single week they are booked except for the last week in August. I decided that I am not going to do that.

I kind of wanted to do this for more than a week out of my summer anyway.

I really want to do something. Are there any other camps that you guys no about. It doesn't even have to be a camp, it can be whatever. Tutoring, I don't care. I just feel like this is something that I want to do.

The reason I ask is because I am also having trouble finding anything relating to special needs in my area. There is nothing that I can find here in NJ.

I am willing to drive, pay whatever I need to. This really isn't for my college application either. I kind of just want to do it at this point.

I need some help. I apologize if I posted a thread like this because if I did, it must have been a while back. So yeah.
 
In Woodbury, NJ there is a camp Sun and Fun for students who have a mental impairment. There is a camp called Tall Pines that I know of because a student with autism that I had went there, but I am not sure if it is specifically for students with autism. I am not sure if you volunteer or work there, but hopefully some of these can help.


FYI, as a former special education teacher, it is more politically correct to use Person First Language when discussing children with special needs. A lot of employers I know tend to be picky about how one addresses students who have disabilities. Good Luck with your search!!