specialize in navy or army

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much easier is it to specialize in the Army vs the Navy?

I think this has been asked before, but the numbers are hard to come by.

I think I once read that the Navy doesn't even have orthodontics residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How much easier is it to specialize in the Army vs the Navy?

I think this has been asked before, but the numbers are hard to come by.

I think I once read that the Navy doesn't even have orthodontics residency?

I'm not in the Army but what I've been told is that, in the Army you can become a Colonel by just completing a checklist of things like specialize, become board certified, be a director or whatever and they have to make you a Colonel (unless you did something bad or whatever).

In the Navy they convene a board and have a vote to see if you're going to be a Captain. If you've got a buddy on the board, you'll do fine. If you don't good luck. I've been assured that the Navy's boards are "strictly unbiased" but that's not what I've heard from multiple high ranking officers in my command. I've heard many say they were fortunate to have someone on the team batting for them.

For what it's worth, the Army might be a better way to go in the long run if you're thinking about staying in. At least in that respect.

He's asking about specialty, not making O-6...

The fact is that the numbers change every year. The Navy is overstaffed with orthodontists right now so when the BUMEDINST for residency comes out they probably won't be taking many if any this cycle. Endo is also very difficult and both have a 3 year ADSO for two years of training. Meanwhile, we're understaffed on surgeons and they've been trying to bring more people in for orofacial pain training.

That's why there aren't any firm numbers.

The fact is that the numbers change every year. The Navy is overstaffed with orthodontists right now so when the BUMEDINST for residency comes out they probably won't be taking many if any this cycle. Endo is also very difficult and both have a 3 year ADSO for two years of training. Meanwhile, we're understaffed on surgeons and they've been trying to bring more people in for orofacial pain training.

I know. It's just that when you specialize with the military, you are much more likely to stay in. Therefore, if you're going to stay in, you'll want to know which pathway will lead to easier success down the road. In essence he's still asking if he should join the Army or the Navy.

Army has a set number of specialty spots each year that don't change (with only a few exceptions). You will know each year what is available.

Thank you everyone for their responses.

I was asking about specializing, but the information about O-6 is helpful also. That is the type of question I would never think of asking, but information that I am glad to have.

As I said, I am not trying to beat a dead horse with this specilization question again. I just wanted to see if there was any new up to date type of information.

Yeah - what does one need to do to get a residency in the ARMY.

What does the future need look like for someone who wants OMFS or Ortho?

Is it realistic to think you can get one of these after 1 year in.

Yeah - what does one need to do to get a residency in the ARMY.

What does the future need look like for someone who wants OMFS or Ortho?

Is it realistic to think you can get one of these after 1 year in.
You are competing against others - so your packet has to look better than theirs. If boards are pass/fail, then all they will have to go off of is your LORs, GPA, and class rank.

My personal belief is that the P/F boards will give the advantage of getting picked up for a specialty spot to those who have been on active duty since they will also have annual evaluations, awards/badges, and LORs from Army dentists added to their packets.

This is how I see things shifting. I think the P/F boards is a huge disservice.

As discussed in other threads - you can apply for OMFS as a graduating senior and have a realistic chance of getting in. Ortho will probably take you 1 or more years on active duty to apply for before you get in because it is more competitive and they have fewer spots.

As discussed in other threads - you can apply for OMFS as a graduating senior and have a realistic chance of getting in. Ortho will probably take you 1 or more years on active duty to apply for before you get in because it is more competitive and they have fewer spots.

Navy is fully manned on orthodontists - I imagine that the Army, like the Navy, is typically undermanned on surgeons which they have a far greater need for in the first place than they do with orthodontists. OMFS isn't necesarily less competitive, it's easier to get in because they need more surgeons.

What would one need to do to have a realistic opportunity for ortho in the army? I realize that nothing is for sure and being a GD is a great job; but, just wanted an idea of how competitive the process or what can be done to optimize their chances.

What would one need to do to have a realistic opportunity for ortho in the army? I realize that nothing is for sure and being a GD is a great job; but, just wanted an idea of how competitive the process or what can be done to optimize their chances.
You are compared against your peers, so things that differentiate you from them. Especially with Ortho this will be "military" things as well as completing a 1 yr AEGD. Different badges (Airborne, Air Assault, EFMB), military schooling (OBLC, CCC, ILE) will all help as well. Unless you were coming out of dental school near the top of your class - I would say that you need to count on being in at least several years before you begin to accumulate enough "military" items on your resume to help make you more competative. You must also consider that if you peers are doing the same thing - it can still be tough to get in.