Specializing - A different path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellopeople

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible (in practice, not theory) to enter a specialty residency after being out of dental school for years?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have two friends who went back for pedo after working a few years out of school. And my own dentist sold his practice and went back for prosth.

None of them had intentions of specializing when they came out of school, it was just a decision they made later. I wonder if it's a plus or minus having actually worked or if you're an underdog to the fresh grads.

I have two friends who went back for pedo after working a few years out of school. And my own dentist sold his practice and went back for prosth.

None of them had intentions of specializing when they came out of school, it was just a decision they made later. I wonder if it's a plus or minus having actually worked or if you're an underdog to the fresh grads.

varies by the specialty and the program.

OS is usually guys straight out of school or who have done an internship.
ENDO tends to be people who have had a GPR/AEGD/Private Practice.
Prosth is a lot of people from private practice
Pedo is a mix of straight out/GPR/PP

It's definetely possible to come back after a couple/many years. But it will limit you from SOME programs. your best bet is to figure out what you want in D-School so that you can start working towards it immediately.