Specializing after working

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joooj86

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a dental student and do not see myself specializing right after school due to financial problems. I know i have to work for a couple years maybe 3-4 years to suffice some life obligations. In case i want to go back and specialize how is that gonna work. Are they gonna look at my part 1 boards that, at that point of time, it has been eight years ? Am i gonna have to take any examinations? Is the GPA still that significant? I know my question doesn't have a specific answer but if anyone has any idea it will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

believe it or not, they will weigh your Part I score more heavily than your Part II score. board scores and class rank (not GPA) are going to be very important in getting interviews, fresh-out or not.

All (ie GPA, board scores, class rank) signficant, but also very important is what you have done while you have been out. Ensure your CV looks good (not you worked for a private dentist for 4 years and that is it).