Specializing: Case vs Nova

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cottage bum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if I were to keep my options open with regards to specializing would there be a difference as to which of the two schools (case or nova) I go to? Thanks in advance for all your helpful replies!

Members don't see this ad.

Boards are Pass/Fail, Case is Pass/Fail
what he means is that since the boards are going p/f they will no longer be used as specialization criteria. The motto used to be: go anywhere, just rock the boards part I and do well if graded school. Hypothetically, i you attend a graded school you will have an advantage over p/f applicants when applying for a specialization, if the boards go p/f and no "specialization" exam is created.

A student from a p/f school would only have a P for classes (no gpa reported) and a P on the boards. How would you distinguish that person from someone who attended a graded school and thus has a gpa??

with that said, i'm attending a p/f school. I really think that a new exam will need to be created.

Honestly, i came to the conclusion: don't worry about specializing yet. Just pick the school where you will do best/the most financially responsible school.

If boards go to pass/fail then CASE will switch back to grading which they kind of already do. We receive a score, the mean and standard deviation in every class that we take, it just doesn't go on our transcripts. But if you are applying to a specialty then Case will send your score in each class, the mean and the standard deviation so they will know exactly where you stand.