Specializing OMFS from Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zdoq

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone share their experience of trying to match into OMFS while attending UMich dental school? Do you have time to study for the CBSE even with the intense academic year? Time for externships? Is it incredibly difficult to balance it all while trying to keep a high class rank since Mich isn't P/F? Appreciate any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

gunning for OMFS is gonna be miserable regardless of where you go to school

Reactions: 9 users
I hear the students at michigan are very competitive with each other for top ranks, that being said if you can maintain a high (top 1/3rd) rank at mich it carries some weight with residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear the students at michigan are very competitive with each other for top ranks, that being said if you can maintain a high (top 1/3rd) rank at mich it carries some weight with residencies.
Everyone here is very smart and hard working, but I wouldn't say people are "very competitive with each other" in the sense that it is malicious. We send around study guides to each other, give tips in sim lab, and pass around google docs for classes with learning objectives.

Everyone here is very smart and hard working, but I wouldn't say people are "very competitive with each other" in the sense that it is malicious. We send around study guides to each other, give tips in sim lab, and pass around google docs for classes with learning objectives.
Depends on the year

Depends on the year
Very tough to make that claim unless you're a student at UM. Being here I've seen those above and below me be very collaborative with each other and not "very competitive" or cut throat at all. Theres also a great sense of older students passing down tips trick and information down the totem pole to the D1s and 2s to help them get through and succeed clinic and didactics.

Very tough to make that claim unless you're a student at UM. Being here I've seen those above and below me be very collaborative with each other and not "very competitive" or cut throat at all. Theres also a great sense of older students passing down tips trick and information down the totem pole to the D1s and 2s to help them get through and succeed clinic and didactics.
Sure the docs go around, but the most competitive (usually top 20) are always finding ways to outdo each other.