Specializing post military (Navy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Big Time Hoosier

Man. Myth. Legend.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello people of the internet,

I know that it is not uncommon to specialize after serving an HPSP payback. However, I have a question. I am graduating from dental school this spring and am yet to attend ODS. Upcoming ODS start dates are mid-May and mid-June. So, I will likely not arrive to my first duty station until sometime later in July, at the earliest. However, virtually all post-grad residencies start around the first day of July. Four years from now, when I am looking to get out of the Navy and start a residency, am I going to have issues? In essence, when does that payback clock start and stop? Will they let me out technically a few weeks early to start a civilian residency? Or, will I just get hosed for a year?

Regards,

Big Hoss

Members don't see this ad.

Clock starts ticking when you enter the Navy, not at your first duty station. However, orders can/may say otherwise as needs of the Navy will supersede you getting out (ie. if your relief hasn't arrived yet). Navy residencies are some of the best out there and pay much better. You should look into them. You can also get concurrent payback, if I'm not mistaken.

No doubt the military runs some top flight residency programs. However, I am interested in specializing to treat patients of the pediatric variety. I applied to DUINS to start right out of school, but was shot down. The Navy only has 12 pediatric dentists, so I figured it'd be easier to go it on my own later since they don't have a great need.

Big Hoss

Members don't see this ad :)
No doubt the military runs some top flight residency programs. However, I am interested in specializing to treat patients of the pediatric variety. I applied to DUINS to start right out of school, but was shot down. The Navy only has 12 pediatric dentists, so I figured it'd be easier to go it on my own later since they don't have a great need.

Big Hoss
Aye, Pedo is it's own beast. Kudos to you wanting to treat screaming children for a career (they don't all scream, just the ones I refer out ;)).

Reactions: 1 user