Specialties for non-type - A personalities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just as a plug for Rads, it's incredibly stimulating intellectually - and depending on the amount of procedures you want to do, you're able to see several patients each day. Do a light clinical elective or shadow for a few days to see how you like it!

I suppose I should also mention that some subspecialties within Rads, e.g. breast imaging, are extremely patient-focused.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Really? I'd figure them more as the artsy fartsy type

Definitely for the female residents. The male ones can have pretty testosterone-filled egos due to the ultra-competitiveness of matching and being "one of them".

Reactions: 2 users
Definitely for the female residents. The male ones can have pretty testosterone-filled egos due to the ultra-competitiveness of matching and being "one of them".

I was actually totally kidding haha. But that's interesting for sure

Dunno if anyone is still following this but some updates.

I hate lengthy precharting and love talking to patients (not forever though). Rotated in a small community ED for a week and absolutely loved it, there was only one actual emergency though so gonna get some more experience at our main hosp which is level 1.
Also kinda liked FM at a busy practice as well.
We're about the least type-A out there.

Reactions: 1 users
So I've heard the adage about med students being perfectionists and type A and anal and worrying about everything, but I feel like I never relate to that. I feel like I more like to just see the best of each situation and not worry about things unless I absolutely need to (like, I worried about getting into med school, and I always adhere to aseptic technique and all) but overall don't really got the whole neuroticism going on unless I know it's important - vs my classmates who are always freaking out about this that or the other. Like, I like to joke around, and overall have a very light / easy going way of thinking of life.
Some other characterictics if it helps:
I'm ridiculously liberal; do what you want as long as you're not hurting others. I love tats and piercings and all that jazz.
I think I'm not very professional by default but can obviously fake it if need be. Like I'll wear pajamas almost anywhere and I guess in a similar regard don't super care how I appear to others. But like I promise I'm nice and caring and empathetic haha.
I like to DO things, i absolutely HATE sitting around! We're doing a lot of table rounds right now in IM and I literally wanna kill myself and my legs are always shaking like crazy, I also have a pretty low attention span like definitely can't make it through a lecture and be paying attention the entire time lol my mind just wanders

So yeah, any specialties that seem to vibe with that? Preferably not too competitive specialties cuz my step score's a little below average? :) I've been leaning towards peds and EM so if anyone can also mention if I wouldn't feel out of place in either of those.

Thanks guys !! I hope I'm not the only one in medicine like this.... maybe a minority, but pls not the only one, right?

If it helps they say I'm an ENFP !

Edit; y’all thank you so much for the responses!!! I’m really excited to see such an overwhelming consensus about fitting into EM, i am so hype to get in there and find my people! Also gonna take a look at anesthesia, never really thought about it before thanks!!!

I think IM is very chill to be honest. The hospitalists and outpatient IM docs I've worked with are very laidback and relaxed. I didn't have that experience with EM. EM is actually quite stressful and I actually think EM has become a specialty for type A people.

Other genuinely chill specialties include FM, PM&R, Peds, Psych, and Anesthesia.

I think IM is very chill to be honest. The hospitalists and outpatient IM docs I've worked with are very laidback and relaxed. I didn't have that experience with EM. EM is actually quite stressful and I actually think EM has become a specialty for type A people.

Other genuinely chill specialties include FM, PM&R, Peds, Psych, and Anesthesia.
Hard no on peds. The passive aggressive stereotype exists for a reason.

PMR is probably the most non type-A... I mean I've never seen a PMR doc and I'm sure 80 percent of people here haven't either... you have to be severely non type-A to be a doctor where nobody knows who you are and the general public probably thinks you're a physical therapist.

• Haha

Agree with you here about EM. The competitiveness and culture is evolving (devolving) imo

Hard disagree about peds.

FM. Once I rotated through, I knew I found my peeps.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The EM people I’ve met have either been super chill or very bro-y.
Bros come in a chill variety and a malignant, jerks-to-non-bros variety. You see more of the former in EM and more of the latter in, say, surgery.

Anesthesiology practically requires being chill given the work environment and dynamics involved.

Bros come in a chill variety and a malignant, jerks-to-non-bros variety. You see more of the former in EM and more of the latter in, say, surgery.

Bros are not chill in the way I use the term. I mean it in the way that they are condescending jerks to people who are not in their in group, and their only method of argument is to either insult you or just laugh dismissively as though that somehow makes them right. I’ve seen that in EM as much as I’ve seen the chill folks.

I’m all about the plenty of money and relaxation 350k+ and ~20 hrs of work/week and any desire for prestige goes out the window!

I’m all about the plenty of money and relaxation 350k+ and ~20 hrs of work/week and any desire for prestige goes out the window!
1 week on 2 weeks off nighttime rads shifts fit your criteria (if you average working hours per week). 70 hr week shifts but then no work for 2 weeks and at least 400k in compensation plus the option to do more work if you want.

Bros are not chill in the way I use the term. I mean it in the way that they are condescending jerks to people who are not in their in group, and their only method of argument is to either insult you or just laugh dismissively as though that somehow makes them right. I’ve seen that in EM as much as I’ve seen the chill folks.
We’re basically using different names for the same kinds of people. They’re in EM too but there are even more in surgery and are really the types that can make it a living hell for non-bro’s. Basically the testosterone version of difficult OB people.

1 week on 2 weeks off nighttime rads shifts fit your criteria (if you average working hours per week). 70 hr week shifts but then no work for 2 weeks and at least 400k in compensation plus the option to do more work if you want.
I'm pretty certain this guy is already an attending PMR doc living the SNF $$$ life lol

We’re basically using different names for the same kinds of people. They’re in EM too but there are even more in surgery and are really the types that can make it a living hell for non-bro’s. Basically the testosterone version of difficult OB people.

Maybe I’m more of a bro than I thought but I worked very closely with surgeons for almost a decade and most of them weren’t bros. Some were dinguses, but most of them weren’t bros.

Maybe I’m more of a bro than I thought but I worked very closely with surgeons for almost a decade and most of them weren’t bros. Some were dinguses, but most of them weren’t bros.
Hmmm, maybe you’re actually a bro and the non-bros in EM are threatened by your broness and dial up the bro-ttitude as a defense? Just a theory.

That has not been my experience at all, surgery is basically a straight up fraternity at my hospital. I could be having a different experience as a gay guy tho :/

• Haha
Hmmm, maybe you’re actually a bro and the non-bros in EM are threatened by your broness and dial up the bro-ttitude as a defense? Just a theory.

That has not been my experience at all, surgery is basically a straight up fraternity at my hospital. I could be having a different experience as a gay guy tho :/

My experiences were at places without a residency and in the community. Could be part of it.

I just asked my kids if I am a bro, and they said we think you’re a dude.

My experiences were at places without a residency and in the community. Could be part of it.

I just asked my kids if I am a bro, and they said we think you’re a dude.
Totally different species.

Was going to recommend Psych until I read that you like to "do" things and have a short attention span

• Haha
To drop my two cents, on surgery I ran into a lot of dinguses, and more dweebs than bros. Except for ortho. There were lots of bros there.