• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Specialties that utilize understanding of genetics

CreateUserName

2+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2018
I will be starting medical school soon and I'm currently unsure which specialty would like to pursue. I am interested in medical genetics, however I've come to learn that it is one of the lowest paying specialties and there don't seem to be many jobs outside large cities. Are there other specialties that require you to have an in depth knowledge of the genetic causes of disease and current genetic testing methods?

About the Ads

Dro133

7+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2013
  1. Medical Student
It's awesome that you're already thinking about which specialties you're interested in, but also keep in mind that there's no rush to decide on a specialty anytime soon! Keep an open mind and explore as many specialties as possible -- many students end up switching their preferred specialty multiple times throughout the first three years (and beyond).

That said, pathology could be a great field for someone who is interested in genetics, as long as you are okay with not having much patient contact. If you're really interested in the basic science of genetics and want to become an expert on the nitty gritty of genetic testing, a branch of pathology called molecular genetic pathology could be worth looking into.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

nlax30

10+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2006
  1. Attending Physician
As far as ACTUALLY dealing with (ordering, interpreting, counseling) genetics testing then I would say Medical Genetics or a subspecies our like Cardio genetics or even Pathology like was mentioned above.

To some degree most fields will deal with genetic disorders in their respective area however it will likely be fairly superficial as in you refer for genetics testing/counseling and they come back to you with a diagnosis.

If you’re able I’d suggest trying to arrange some time with a geneticist is some field to gain some insight into what they really do. You may love it or realize that it’s not how you want to spend your days.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.