Specialties with the most/least documentation requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuroguy887

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The thing I probably hate most about medicine is writing endless SOAP notes for patients with 20 active problems. In general internal med I assume this is par for the course whereas in something like ophtho I'd imagine most notes are pretty easy to cut and paste with minor edits.

Any other suggestions on fields which require a low time investment for documentation?

Members don't see this ad.

What have you seen on your rotations so far? Yes Internal Medicine and psych (shudder) notes are endless. From what I've seen the surgical fields had the shortest notes. Hell half the time the resident wouldn't even go into the patient's room!
"Afebrile, VSS, tolerating PO, pain controlled, d/c to home POD#2"

OB maybe. I always felt those notes contained a lot of information but were pretty succinct.

The thing I probably hate most about medicine is writing endless SOAP notes for patients with 20 active problems. In general internal med I assume this is par for the course whereas in something like ophtho I'd imagine most notes are pretty easy to cut and paste with minor edits.

Any other suggestions on fields which require a low time investment for documentation?
Anesthesia.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) this has been discussed before; I suggest doing a search
2) any field where the patients are relatively healthy and present with a single issue
3) as government interference in medical care increases, documentation will only increase
4) even anesthesia has documentation; our hospitals make them write a post-op SOAP note in the PACU and a 24 hr note (for inpatients)

If Anesthesia has electronic/auto reporting during cases, then it's not bad. Hospital I did MS3 rotations at had paper charts still for anesthesia, and Anesthesiologists routinely had to 'catch up' on documentation during slow parts (for Anesthesia) of cases.

Have you seen the paper charts used during the actual cases?
I have, but have you seen the electronic charts that automatically document vitals, vent settings, etc.?

Either way, even if you have to document vitals q5min during a case, this is much less paperwork than any progress note, H&P, or clinic note--except maybe for ortho...I've seen 1 sentence HPIs out of those folks.

If Anesthesia has electronic/auto reporting during cases, then it's not bad. Hospital I did MS3 rotations at had paper charts still for anesthesia, and Anesthesiologists routinely had to 'catch up' on documentation during slow parts (for Anesthesia) of cases.
Catching up during a case is much better/easier than the family practice doc who spends hours and hours after his or her last patient catching up on notes.

More importantly, OP--don't pick a specialty based on the amount of documentation that is required. Pick something that you like and wouldn't mind doing at 3AM on a limited amount of sleep.

Last edited:
More importantly, OP--don't pick a specialty based on the amount of documentation that is required. Pick something that you like and wouldn't mind doing at 3AM on a limited amount of sleep.

To be fair, if OP hates doing notes more than anything else in the world, I imagine any field without extensive documentation would be a better fit according to your criteria.

to be honest it is better for you to learn to tolerate paperwork, because you will get plenty whatever you choose to do. IM and family practice can have really lengthy paperwork. FP is insane especially if you work outpatient in a place where you have digital files of all your patients and everything gets documented, including specialty referring. It is not only about writing stuff but retrieving stuff.

Derm paper charting is fantastic most of the time. A usual clinic note often looks like this:

CC: Growth
HPI: L arm; 2 years; no symptoms; no previous tx
PE: [insert human body diagram with arrow pointing to affected area] 2cm bleeding plaque
Assessment: BCC vs SCC
Plan: Shave bx

fin

Derm paper charting is fantastic most of the time. A usual clinic note often looks like this:

CC: Growth
HPI: L arm; 2 years; no symptoms; no previous tx
PE: [insert human body diagram with arrow pointing to affected area] 2cm bleeding plaque
Assessment: BCC vs SCC
Plan: Shave bx

fin

So beautiful...

A single tear.

Reactions: 1 user