Specialties With The Most Potential

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m32b

m42b
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think with the advancements in neuroscience/neuropharmacology the specialties of neurology and psychiatry are going to make incredible leaps forward relative to other specialties in treating their patients...this, of course, is my humble, novice opinion...but unfortunately, don't think it will be realised within the next ten years or so...anyone else have any thoughts.

ps anesthesia bound

Members don't see this ad.

I think Radiology and Oncology will have some serious advancements in the next few years.

The advent of 64-slice MSCT now allows proper evaluation of coronary artery atherosclerosis down to 1.5mm in size, and that's on a moving target (the heart). Other organs should be more easily visualized, and better scanners are always coming out. With advances in biochemistry and oncology, local delivery of chemotherapuetic agents tailored to individual tumors by interventional radiologists is an exciting concept (to me, anyways).

m32b said:
I think with the advancements in neuroscience/neuropharmacology the specialties of neurology and psychiatry are going to make incredible leaps forward relative to other specialties in treating their patients...this, of course, is in my humble, novice opinion...but unfortunately, don't think it will be realised within the next ten years or so...anyone else have any thoughts.

ps anesthesia bound

Appreciate your vote of confidence for psych. I would also add that I see no evidence that mental illness is ever going to go away...in fact, it may be a "growth industry" in our society at the moment. Now if we could just build the social mandate to pay for these services at the level of "real" illness...

tRmedic21:

right on with radiology...some of the mri and super slice ct scanners are, well, incomparable...i see no real end to meaningful imaging advancements as long as processing/acquisition times continue to be pared down ...in fact, within the last ten years or so it may have changed most....truly a dynamic speciality on the cutting edge right now.

One vote for pathology especially with advancement of molecular diagnostics.

But hey, I'm biased.

AndyMilonakis said:

But hey, I'm biased.

I saw a site the other day where they were using hi-res CT scanners (see my above post) for 'virtual' autopsies. Now that's KEWL.

tRmedic21 said:
I saw a site the other day where they were using hi-res CT scanners (see my above post) for 'virtual' autopsies. Now that's KEWL.
that is interesting...i was not aware of this. wouldn't this be done by radiologists rather than pathologists though?

AndyMilonakis said:
that is interesting...i was not aware of this. wouldn't this be done by radiologists rather than pathologists though?

Give it about 20 years and it will probably be done by a tech with an associates degree.

Take care,
Jeff

What about Immunology???? Can someone tell me best place to study immunology?

allergic2morons said:
What about Immunology???? Can someone tell me best place to study immunology?

get a masters degree in immunology.

AndyMilonakis said:

But hey, I'm biased.

Also, one for Ophthalmology. There are new treatments and procedures coming out every day!

m32b said:
I think with the advancements in neuroscience/neuropharmacology the specialties of neurology and psychiatry are going to make incredible leaps forward relative to other specialties in treating their patients...this, of course, is my humble, novice opinion...but unfortunately, don't think it will be realised within the next ten years or so...anyone else have any thoughts.

ps anesthesia bound

no $ in that nonsense.
do something else like botox or steroid injections. that's where the big money is.