Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters

BioBeaver

Rah Virginia Mil.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know people always say you have no idea until you get to medical school, but honestly all of us have some sort of idea of what kind of doctor they see themselves being.

So what specialty are you guys pursuing? It's fine if other factors play into your decision (salary, free time, autonomy), but what would you pick if you had to pick now?

Please add why you voted for the specialty you did.

Members don't see this ad.

You're leaving the people hanging by not saying why you voted for the specialty that you did, BioBeaver.

You're leaving the people hanging by not saying why you voted for the specialty that you did, BioBeaver.

Alright alright, I voted for Emergency Medicine, because I think I would like the diversity of cases you'd see. I also like that they generally know a little about a lot of different areas, and fit the stereotypical "doctor" that the public (and myself) have viewed. There's also a bit of excitement and an adrenaline rush involved from what I have seen interning.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright alright, I voted for Emergency Medicine, because I think I would like the diversity of cases you'd see. I also like that they generally know a little about a lot of different areas, and fit the stereotypical "doctor" that the public (and myself) have viewed. There's also a bit of excitement and an adrenaline rush involved from what I have seen interning.

Just came off of an Emergency Med rotation about a month ago (I am an internal medicine intern). It is definitely an interesting environment. It is a different kind of challenge to rapidly assess a large volume of patients every shift, decide on initial orders, and route the patient to the appropriate consults/services, all within a reasonable time frame.

Personally, I found it to be a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. I enjoyed the hours, though. That last bit may be through the filter of the ICU night shifts I've been pulling this month, though.

I voted for surgery. I like working with my hands and being in charge, so I think it would suit me pretty well. If I could work reasonable hours I would love to be a Surgeon. Plastic Surgery would be the dream job since I could have a practice, be my own boss, and set my own hours while still making a good bit of money.

Radiology is also a very good choice. My dad's former coworker's son is in a radiology residency right now. From what I hear they work decent hours and make a lot.

Dentistry might also suit me. I might end up going that route, you never know. Great lifestyle and they make enough money. USNews #1 job of 2013 for a reason.

No Allergy/Immunology? .

I'm not banking on any decision I make in High school, but I have been favoring A/I. I have been fortunate enough to shadow an Allergist. It was a very rewarding and knowledgeable experience. And I would love to specialize in something that somewhat pertains to me (Severe Allergies since 1997)

I didn't vote because I can't decide between derm and psychiatry. I think derm is an interesting field I'm interested in it but I don't see myself pursuing it. I like psychiatry mostly because it pertains to me because I have OCD and I really like communicating with people and helping them resolve life problems.

Solomon: I didn't even know that was a specific specialty! I pretty much went off the ones listed on SDN's Residency section. That does sound interesting though, I'm assuming they're the ones who test people for what allergies they may have?

Softballtennis: I think Derm would pay a lot more, but psychiatry definitely gives you more ability to talk to others about their problems.

The reason people say 'wait until med school' in terms of deciding a specialty is because you guys know nothing about the attributes each specialty has. Skimming through this thread, a lot of the reasons for liking X specialty is actually an attribute many if not all specialties share. Thinking about a specialty now is like trying to pick what classes you'll take in college when you're still in elementary school. Granted, I'm a first year yet I still don't pretend to know the differences between all the nuances of the specialties.

Plastic Surgery would be the dream job since I could have a practice, be my own boss, and set my own hours while still making a good bit of money.

Radiology is also a very good choice. My dad's former coworker's son is in a radiology residency right now. From what I hear they work decent hours and make a lot.

For example, you don't have to be a plastic surgeon to have your own practice, be your own boss, and make good money. There are tons of specialties that fall into that category, inside and outside of surgery. As for radiology, there are lots of other specialties that are stereotyped as having great hours and great pay. Even if you don't choose one of those, there are ways (ie private practice) to get betters hours and pay.

No Allergy/Immunology? .

I'm not banking on any decision I make in High school, but I have been favoring A/I. I have been fortunate enough to shadow an Allergist. It was a very rewarding and knowledgeable experience. And I would love to specialize in something that somewhat pertains to me (Severe Allergies since 1997)

allergy/immunology is a subspecialty of internal medicine

The reason people say 'wait until med school' in terms of deciding a specialty is because you guys know nothing about the attributes each specialty has. Skimming through this thread, a lot of the reasons for liking X specialty is actually an attribute many if not all specialties share. Thinking about a specialty now is like trying to pick what classes you'll take in college when you're still in elementary school. Granted, I'm a first year yet I still don't pretend to know the differences between all the nuances of the specialties.

For example, you don't have to be a plastic surgeon to have your own practice, be your own boss, and make good money. There are tons of specialties that fall into that category, inside and outside of surgery. As for radiology, there are lots of other specialties that are stereotyped as having great hours and great pay. Even if you don't choose one of those, there are ways (ie private practice) to get betters hours and pay.

I was just referring to surgery. I know orthopedics can also do well in private practice. Those two seem like the best for private practice, what do you think?

I was just referring to surgery. I know orthopedics can also do well in private practice. Those two seem like the best for private practice, what do you think?

Your reading comprehension leads me to believe there's no point in trying to talk to you.

Your reading comprehension leads me to believe there's no point in trying to talk to you.

How ironic. You couldn't even comprehend that I was just asking which surgical specialties, aside from orthopedics and plastics, are good for private practice. So much for reading comprehension... You should look into ophthalmology, because you must have a hard time seeing.

I digress; I'll find out for myself. You obviously don't want to talk to me. :laugh:

EDIT: I don't want to come off as a cock, but I also don't like being insulted for just asking a question. All I tried to ask was if you knew of any other surgical specialties that are predominantly private practice. This is just a case of miscommunication. I apologize if I've offended you at all, I don't mean any harm.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I really would think that I want to do Family Medicine or Internal Medicine. You can build a long lasting relationship with patients, work anywhere in the USA, take advantage of Locum Tenens and the lifestyle is more manageable.

I am only a premed, but I've been working in an ED for almost two years and I really like the pace, acuity, shift work..

Last edited:
Anesthesia all the way except i would like to go into Pain Management.

I dont know tons about it but I am interested in helping people who are in pain. That is really the main reason.

I don't want to come off as a cock, but I also don't like being insulted for just asking a question. All I tried to ask was if you knew of any other surgical specialties that are predominantly private practice. This is just a case of miscommunication. I apologize if I've offended you at all, I don't mean any harm.

Don't worry, you didn't come off as the jerk in that exchange. Ortho is definitely a great specialty and popular one. Otolaryngology is another as well as urology and ophthalmology as these have a large bag of tricks that include surgical and non-surgical treatments, allowing for more tweaking of your particular practice; that can be nice over the course of your career. But also, it's not just private practice, all of these specialties are great in academics as well. It's really just what suits each individual and that list is certainly not comprehensive.

Reactions: 1 user
Somewhere between emergency med and surgery am I.

I dont know tons about it but I am interested in helping people who are in pain tooooooooo.