Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I've got what might be a silly question. Is it possible for someone to finish a residency, then get a fellowship in a different field? Or would someone have to complete a new residency?
For example, if someone did a general surgery residency then wanted to switch to, I don't know, say hematology, would they be able to apply for a fellowship or would they need to do a residency in internal medicine?
Also, does it make a difference if the specialties are more similar? I'll sorta go back to the previous example, but if you wanted to be a trauma surgeon and completed a thoracic surgery residency instead of a general surgery residency, would trauma still be a viable fellowship?
For example, if someone did a general surgery residency then wanted to switch to, I don't know, say hematology, would they be able to apply for a fellowship or would they need to do a residency in internal medicine?
Also, does it make a difference if the specialties are more similar? I'll sorta go back to the previous example, but if you wanted to be a trauma surgeon and completed a thoracic surgery residency instead of a general surgery residency, would trauma still be a viable fellowship?