Specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Northside

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering... does having a research-based Master's degree in a scientific field somehow improve one's chances at being accepted into a specialty program? Or does it all come down to class ranking and board exam scores? Any other factors that come into play?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I was wondering... does having a research-based Master's degree in a scientific field somehow improve one's chances at being accepted into a specialty program? Or does it all come down to class ranking and board exam scores? Any other factors that come into play?

Thanks

Well, I have a master's in Phys. and in my first year I'm getting the idea that it is worth, well, close to Fiz. Evidently, your instincts regarding class rank and board scores are dead on. At the end of the day, a master's won't make or brake you as a specialty candidate. The only specialty I can see looking at whether or not you have a master's degree with any weight is OMFS, only because they emphasize a lot of research be done on the applicants part. Good luck!

having a research background also helps in ortho. but it is no substitute for high national boards and class rank. i have sat in on interviewee selection committees and the people who had a ton of quality research may get a couple NB points or rank spots worth of slack.

i was surprised when a lot of INCOMING dental students had never done research but were still accepted. do you guys feel that the majority (say over 70%) of students accepted into a specialty program did research at their dental school? and if, so for how many years?

and how about leadership positions within the dental school? could that act as a pseudo-substitute for research????