specialty hospitals accepting externs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vetsahoyVMCVM

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone applied to any specialty hospitals that have accepted them for an externship? COVID is REALLY making me pull my hair out!

Members don't see this ad.

When you say specialty, are you talking with fully boarded doctors?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Did you find any that were accepting externs? If so would you mind DMing me? Thank you in advance!

Hi! Did you find any that were accepting externs? If so would you mind DMing me? Thank you in advance!
Hello! What specialty services are you interested in? My hospital will be restarting the extern program shortly. DM me for details! :)

Late to the discussion, but the hospital I'm working as a tech now accepts externs. We have surgery, anesthesia, neurology, and internal medicine on site, and cardiology and part-time oncology at a different location in the city. PM me if you're interested, we're in Chicago.

Also very late to the thread but just for more information, I work at a busy referral/emergency hospital and we have continued to take fourth-year externs during covid. Where our externs go in the hospital generally depends on what type of externship they want (surgery, ER, IM, etc.). But as best I know we haven't cut back externships.

We do not (and have never) taken pre-vet 'shadowers', though. We're just too busy/chaotic for someone without any medical training.

Also very late to the thread but just for more information, I work at a busy referral/emergency hospital and we have continued to take fourth-year externs during covid. Where our externs go in the hospital generally depends on what type of externship they want (surgery, ER, IM, etc.). But as best I know we haven't cut back externships.

We do not (and have never) taken pre-vet 'shadowers', though. We're just too busy/chaotic for someone without any medical training.

Are externships worth doing if you are in your first or second year of vet school, or pre vet?

Are externships worth doing if you are in your first or second year of vet school, or pre vet?
For pre-vets, hours spent with a veterinarian are required to apply, so definitely worth it. I would suggest getting a job as an assistant though over just shadowing just so you have some money on the side as well.

For 1st and 2nd years, it depends on the student. For those that want to specialize, it would be completely worth it because of the networking opportunity.

Reactions: 1 user
On the flip side, I actually preferred being a shadow over an assistant. I got to go into every appointment and watch every surgery and wasn’t limited by needing to do other tasks like cleaning. I had a job elsewhere and shadowed on some of my off time and that worked out better for me.

Reactions: 3 users
On the flip side, I actually preferred being a shadow over an assistant. I got to go into every appointment and watch every surgery and wasn’t limited by needing to do other tasks like cleaning. I had a job elsewhere and shadowed on some of my off time and that worked out better for me.
agreed! I worked a non vet job for extra dollahs and just hung out and shadowed for learning experience. It's not that you don't get good experience as an assistant, but it's really nice to be able to ask a bunch of questions, ping from case to case with multiple doctors, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
agreed! I worked a non vet job for extra dollahs and just hung out and shadowed for learning experience. It's not that you don't get good experience as an assistant, but it's really nice to be able to ask a bunch of questions, ping from case to case with multiple doctors, etc.
At my non-vet job I even got paid more than I did when I was hired as an assistant at the clinic I was shadowing at 😅

Reactions: 1 user
For pre-vets, hours spent with a veterinarian are required to apply, so definitely worth it. I would suggest getting a job as an assistant though over just shadowing just so you have some money on the side as well.

For 1st and 2nd years, it depends on the student. For those that want to specialize, it would be completely worth it because of the networking opportunity.

Thank you! That's really helpful!