Specialty or LTC? Which option should I choose

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

The Doom & Gloom

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Fyi: I have no loan. Single. Graduated 3-4 yrs ago.

Option 1:
Specialty pharmacy (urac accredited--reputable company)
Contract position 3-4 months
Day job - M-F (no weekends)
$51/hr
15 minute commute

Option 2:
LTC - fast growing; does 2500-3000 rx/ day; multiple pharmacist working same shifts
Full time position
Night shift: 4 pm - 12am M-F (no weekends)
$56/hr
1 hr 10 min commute

What would you do if you were in my situation?
I want to know if the outlook for specialty pharmacy is looking good?
Anyone who has experience working as an independent contractor?

I would prefer to have a full time job, but the commute is seems like a deal breaker.. esp 12am in the morning.
 
Dear God option 1. Why are you even debating it?

Because
1) I wanted a full time job. It took me forever to find (~ 4 months) to land a decent job.
2) I have no experience working as an independent contractor. & no benefits from this employer

I also wanted to know what the outlook is for both directions.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Because
1) I wanted a full time job. It took me forever to find (~ 4 months) to land a decent job.
2) I have no experience working as an independent contractor. & no benefits from this employer

I also wanted to know what the outlook is for both directions.

That’s fair. You have to know your personal risk tolerance. But specialty as a field isn’t going anywhere, it’s super profitable right now. I doubt LTC is going anywhere either; the population isn’t getting younger.