Specialty Placement Rates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

papichulo

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure this question has been posed before, but what do you guys think are the best schools for specialy placement? I have heard Columbia, UConn, UPenn are great (like 80% placement rates!). Some say Michigan and Ohio state are great. I have heard some mention Iowa, San Antonio, UCSF and Oregon. Heck, even Temple and UNLV claim up to 40% specialty placement! If you go by what each school tells you, getting into a specialty program is easy no matter where you go! Of course, we know this is not true. I understand if you place at the top of your class and do well on the boards you can be competitive regardless of where you go. However, which schools are will provide the best opportunity? Mostly Ivy league schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I am sure this question has been posed before, but what do you guys think are the best schools for specialy placement? I have heard Columbia, UConn, UPenn are great (like 80% placement rates!). Some say Michigan and Ohio state are great. I have heard some mention Iowa, San Antonio, UCSF and Oregon. Heck, even Temple and UNLV claim up to 40% specialty placement! If you go by what each school tells you, getting into a specialty program is easy no matter where you go! Of course, we know this is not true. I understand if you place at the top of your class and do well on the boards you can be competitive regardless of where you go. However, which schools are will provide the best opportunity? Mostly Ivy league schools?
Most of these "placement rate" percentages include students who go into GPR or AEGD programs (which generally aren't competetive). So, in reality, 80% of columbia grads go on to do post-graduate things, but it's really only maybe 30% who go onto desireable specialties such as ortho, pedo, omfs, and endo. That's the same with UConn and Temple for sure, not so sure about Penn. I think the only school that consistently has an 80+% placement rate into competetive specialties is harvard. So, maybe you want to check haavard out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of these "placement rate" percentages include students who go into GPR or AEGD programs (which generally aren't competetive). So, in reality, 80% of columbia grads go on to do post-graduate things, but it's really only maybe 30% who go onto desireable specialties such as ortho, pedo, omfs, and endo. That's the same with UConn and Temple for sure, not so sure about Penn. I think the only school that consistently has an 80+% placement rate into competetive specialties is harvard. So, maybe you want to check haavard out.

982 posts! ;)

Temple----oral surgery

My Columbia fact sheet says 99% of their grads go on to post-grad work, and about 60-70% of them are in the competitive (non-GPR/AEGD) programs depending on the year

I know they've posted this before, but honestly what you need wherever you are in school is great grades and great board scores. Do research and extracurricular/leadership stuff if you can. Try to be a real person, get to know the faculty.
If you have good grades and nbde scores, it really doesn't make that much of a difference where you went to school.
I went to Baylor. Of everyone that applied to specialty programs in my class, I think only 3 didn't get in anywhere. There will always be people who don't get in or don't want to specialize, so I don't know how much those percentages really mean.

UConn says about 40% go on to do a specialization while 40% do AEGD/GPR

Temple----oral surgery[/QUOTE]

Yes, Temple is the place to be for oral surgery

ok, does anyone know if there are official statistics on the internet for this topic? It would be great if there were.....

UOP has a low % to apply to specialties, but they all get in.

ok, does anyone know if there are official statistics on the internet for this topic? It would be great if there were.....

I dont think it is published anywhere~