Suffusion

10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2009
Status
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hopefully this is in the right forum/I'm allowed to ask it.

I took the second Kaplan PS sectional and had a problem with question 25. It asks if entropy increases or decreases for photosynthesis. We're told that delG for the reaction is 686 kcal/mol and that delH is 2800 kJ/mol. Kaplan says entropy decreases by analyzing the equation (you wind up with less moles, solids instead of gas, etc), I say it has to increase to make G=H-TS work.

Am I missing something here? Thermodynamics is one of my weak spots so probably :oops:

G1SG2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2008
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Hopefully this is in the right forum/I'm allowed to ask it.

I took the second Kaplan PS sectional and had a problem with question 25. It asks if entropy increases or decreases for photosynthesis. We're told that delG for the reaction is 686 kcal/mol and that delH is 2800 kJ/mol. Kaplan says entropy decreases by analyzing the equation (you wind up with less moles, solids instead of gas, etc), I say it has to increase to make G=H-TS work.

Am I missing something here? Thermodynamics is one of my weak spots so probably :oops:

In the information you provided, delta G and delta H are both positive. In the equation G=H-TS, you would end up with a positive delta G if the term TS was negative, because then you would end up with G=H-(-TS)=G=H+TS, giving you a positive value for delta G.

Suffusion

10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2009
Status
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
In the information you provided, delta G and delta H are both positive. In the equation G=H-TS, you would end up with a positive delta G if the term TS was negative, because then you would end up with G=H-(-TS)=G=H+TS, giving you a positive value for delta G.

But doesn't the fact that G is smaller than H when they are both positive indicate that S must be positive but not large enough to make G negative?

About the Ads

minutemen11

7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
  1. Medical Student
hmm yeah that is true.. but i guess you just have to look at the big picture instead of the overall equation.. its definitely true that entropy decreases in photosynthesis tho..

G1SG2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2008
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
But doesn't the fact that G is smaller than H when they are both positive indicate that S must be positive but not large enough to make G negative?

Yeah, I thought about that at first as well. I suppose you have to look at the equation of photosynthesis to see that entropy is decreasing, as the poster above suggests.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads