Specific Questions about Specific Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDanger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm researching schools and I've come across a few things you guys can hopefully clear up for me.

1. In @somethinpositiv's thread about schools it says
Also, keep in mind that some schools DO NOT accept Pre-Reqs from Community College, such as Tufts, NYU, BU, and Temple. In fact, Tufts won't accept any CC credits, so you can effectively remove it from your list if you went to CC before you went to a 4-year institution.
Considering this thread was written in 2009 and the 2013 ADEA guide says only Boston out of these doesn't accept CC credits, I can go by what ADEA is saying, correct? Does anyone know if Boston is super strict on this? I took calc 2 at a CC over the summer so I'm not sure they'd be more lenient with that course since it isn't BCP. I'd call them but it's a Sunday. :p

2. How PBL-intensive are Case and Indiana? I read somewhere that Case only does PBL during year 1 and it's more of a hybrid approach but I'd really like to get more firsthand information on this instead of speaking to faculty since I'm sure they only have positive things to say.

3. I'm aware Creighton, Marquette, and Detroit Mercy have religious affiliation. How does this play into curriculum?

For 2 and 3 I'm really looking for any type of advice. If you applied to these schools despite knowing about the PBL/religious aspect, why'd you keep it there? If you didn't apply, why not?

Members don't see this ad.

I can really only answer #3 and only about Creighton, which as you know is a Catholic institution. As far as I know they don't incorporate any religion into your dental school classes, but rather their religious background leads them to emphasize service into their curriculum. With that, they also seek applicants who have service in their background.

However, some schools (Minnesota comes to mind) also emphasize service into their curriculum without being religiously affiliated.