Quantcast

Specificity in Personal Statements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rx2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I don't know if this has been asked before, but is allright to put down the specific name of the places you have volunteered, which fraternity your in, and all that good stuff??? Or is it better to not state the specific names?

riggylou

Reaction score
I would say be specific...names of organizations are fine. The only exception to this that I can think of would be..if you shadowed a pharmacist, just list the hospital/pharmacy but don't the pharmacists by name. At least that's what I did.

kcha90

Reaction score
Yeah I would avoid listing the names of actual people; they'll know these names from LORs.

rx2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What about naming a specific university of college?

drugdealer2b

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What about naming a specific university of college?
I would say specific for everything except for names of people. The names of colleges, universities, frats, and organizations are all on your application anyway.

In my personal statement, I mentioned the name of my professor that I did research with. Now that I think about it, it's probably not the best idea. At the same time, they have that information in my application anyway that I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference. But I would steer away from names of coworkers, customers, clients, etc. You get the idea.

rx2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the responses guys, it was really helpful