Speech-Language Pathologist taking pre-med classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noja

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi out there,

I got my master's in speech-language pathology last year and am now wanting to get my M.D (considering physiology, PEDS or ENT). I unfortunately need to take all of the core science classes (undergrad degrees in linguistics and Spanish didn't help me there) and am trying to find a cost effective way to finish my pre-reqs. I live in a town with a university and community college, but the cc is the only one the offers classes that can jive with my work schedule (I have a family and not working isn't an option right now). I know I'll need to go through a university to take organic chem and other upper level courses but I was wondering if taking the intro to bio and chem classes at the cc would hurt my chances for getting into med school. I have a 4.0 in my graduate work, which consisted of over 100 credit hours, have hospital experience and will have my master's thesis published before I start applying to schools so I feel confident about my academic record and work experience. I am also considering taking classes online but am leery about taking "simulated" labs. I just don't want to shoot myself in the foot by taking the wrong classes.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand, schools won't care a whole lot about your graduate GPA. What does your undergrad GPA look like? Obviously taking the prereqs at a university is best, but if you have a solid undergrad career (and life and standing in the way of a university) then I would do them at the cc vs online.

Reactions: 1 user
Ever consider becoming a Developmental Pediatrician? From what I've seen, there's a serious shortage; and your SLP credentials would be extremely useful.

Reactions: 1 user