Speed / Efficiency with H & P'S

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ntxawmx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow med students...

Doing medicine right now and I got 2 admissions tonight and it literally took me nearly 6 hours to complete them! That is just not ok! I know people keep telling me it will get faster but it just doesn't feel that way.

Anyone else out there slower than a turtle? Anyone with suggestions on how to be more efficient and finish these H & P's in a timely manner -- I'm talking about the medicine ones where the patient has a problem list that exceeds 10 things and a med list that approaches 30 items.

thanks for any input. I'm afraid that when intern year comes, I'll just not be good enough.

Thanks.

:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, 6 hours is a lot of time. not to worry -- you'll learn to do things faster.

Don't get down on yourself. It's far better to start off being slow, but comprehensive versus fast and deficient - easier to pare down than to add. What worked for me was seeing how good interns and senior residents did their H&Ps and picking up pointers from them. You will decide for yourself how to speed up the process, when and what you can skimp on, etc. Like a lot in medicine, practice and repetition work wonders.

Good luck and be positive.

Members don't see this ad :)
ntxawmx said:
Hi fellow med students...

Doing medicine right now and I got 2 admissions tonight and it literally took me nearly 6 hours to complete them! That is just not ok! I know people keep telling me it will get faster but it just doesn't feel that way.

Anyone else out there slower than a turtle? Anyone with suggestions on how to be more efficient and finish these H & P's in a timely manner -- I'm talking about the medicine ones where the patient has a problem list that exceeds 10 things and a med list that approaches 30 items.

thanks for any input. I'm afraid that when intern year comes, I'll just not be good enough.

Thanks.
:eek:

Eh, you'll get faster when you realize how little of that crap you actually have to include.

Oh, and for the assessment part where you show your "thinking" - the gold standard is to cut'n'paste from uptodate. I was very slow to cotten on to that one. Generally no one will tell you this. Watching you struggle with it, like a tool, is part of the passive-agggressive ritual of medical training. ;)

Gulliver said:
Eh, you'll get faster when you realize how little of that crap you actually have to include.

Oh, and for the assessment part where you show your "thinking" - the gold standard is to cut'n'paste from uptodate. I was very slow to cotten on to that one. Generally no one will tell you this. Watching you struggle with it, like a tool, is part of the passive-agggressive ritual of medical training. ;)

Never ever heard of that before. Been through almost every service now at end of third year and have never seen a resident/intern/senior/student do anywhere near that sort of assessment that includes uptodate.

wierd.

later

Gulliver said:

Can you clarify the "cut'n'past from uptodate" comment?

Gulliver said:

:laugh: :laugh: So true. :thumbup:

it comes with practice, but in reality you'll be forced to get efficient if you wanna pass Step 2 CS - perhaps this is the only redeeming quality of this
G-d awful test (although it doesnt accurately reflect the way real pts present).

scootad. said:
it comes with practice, but in reality you'll be forced to get efficient if you wanna pass Step 2 CS - perhaps this is the only redeeming quality of this
G-d awful test (although it doesnt accurately reflect the way real pts present).
Scootad, would you mind sharing your cs experience. Theres a new thread about it in the usmle/comlex forum. Thanks. :)