spending $ at bars and restaurants

Started by docsamdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Honestly I'm not sure. The only bar I've heard of people going to after exams is on Rainbow and 39th, right by the campus. Its called Jaywalker and it just opened last fall.

I think it's an Irish pub. I'm pretty sure I saw it in November. It's on the NW side of campus.
 
I have been to plenty of bars, including dives in the inner sunset, Cole Valley (Finnegans Wake is a personal fav of mine), Haight, and the Richmond and I have never been able to find a pint of Guinness for less than $5.25.
Finnegan's wake, your personal fave, charges $4.50 for a pint of Guinness. I was there last week. And I've worked the bar trade in SF. If you can't find a $5 pint of Guinness, you aren't looking too hard.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Finnegan's wake, your personal fave, charges $4.50 for a pint of Guinness. I was there last week. And I've worked the bar trade in SF. If you can't find a $5 pint of Guinness, you aren't looking too hard.

Why are you such an ass? Go back to my second post, I said that most places charge from $5-6 for a pint (let me emphasize the $5 end of the range) and sorry that I can't remember how much I paid for a pint at every place that I have been. Money spent on booze isn't an issue for me like it is for other people in this thread. I'm either not as good at finding cheap drinks or unwilling to go out of my way to find them (oooooh I saved 50 cents-- whoop-dee-frickin-doo!). You must be a pro.
 
Money spent on booze isn't an issue for me like it is for other people in this thread.
No sweat, Darkside. I just find folks have a misimpression of how expensive SF is. Cheap eats (and drinks) are to be had if you live here. Folks tend to judge prices based on the prices at hotel spots and tourist drags, which tend to run high. No biggie...
 
No sweat, Darkside. I just find folks have a misimpression of how expensive SF is. Cheap eats (and drinks) are to be had if you live here. Folks tend to judge prices based on the prices at hotel spots and tourist drags, which tend to run high. No biggie...

No worries. I lived in San Francisco (Inner Sunset and Cole Valley) for a couple of years and things aren't that bad in terms of the cost of going out to dinner and stuff. The thing that kills you is the rent. I'm moving back to start residency at UCSF in July and housing has become more expensive in the past couple of years. I got a two bedroom apartment in Cole Valley for $1700 in July of 2005. Same area, same size is well over $2000/mo now.
 
The thing that kills you is the rent. I'm moving back to start residency at UCSF in July and housing has become more expensive in the past couple of years. I got a two bedroom apartment in Cole Valley for $1700 in July of 2005. Same area, same size is well over $2000/mo now.
I hear you on the rent. On the plus side, the rent control rocks, if you do find a cheap enough place. Cole Valley is one of the few neighborhoods that keeps going up and up. Hopefully you'll have better luck in the Sunset.
 
I hear you on the rent. On the plus side, the rent control rocks, if you do find a cheap enough place. Cole Valley is one of the few neighborhoods that keeps going up and up. Hopefully you'll have better luck in the Sunset.

Well, doesn't rent control only apply to the people who have been living there? Once you move in doesn't the rent readjust?

I think what you should do is find a place that you can stay for several years, and bite the bullet on the rent, because then your rent-controlled apartment will actually be saving you quite a bit of money when you are paying 2007 dollars with a 2012 income.
 
I have been to plenty of bars, including dives in the inner sunset, Cole Valley (Finnegans Wake is a personal fav of mine), Haight, and the Richmond and I have never been able to find a pint of Guinness for less than $5.25. I can get a pint of Sierra Nevada or any other beer on tap for around $4.

BTW-- I did state in my previous post that $10 for a cocktail is the norm for a trendy bar or club in Vegas or San Francisco--not a "dive". I can get a Jack and Coke at Lyon pub for $7 over in Pac Heights. I currently live in Vegas (for 3 more weeks, anyway) AND it is impossible to get cheap drinks at ANY place worth going to. That is why I routinely preparty at home before going out. I have on occasion brought my flask to a club or bar.

Steiner- excellent call on the $7.99 six pack of Guinness. Problem is it just doesn't taste the same as when it comes out of the tap. I will be bringing my flask to South Lake Tahoe in a couple weeks though. You still bringing the Recliner? Tough break at PURE. That place is fun though.

There are a few places to drink cheap in this town. There's a bar on the corner of Flamingo and Audrey (a 1/2 block from the Strip) that is a dive BUT totally worth stopping for 20 minutes to fill on drinks...dollar shots and patron on tap....did I get your attention yet? There's a place at the Aladdin/Planet Hollywood called Blondie's and their local's night has $10 cover for free well drinks plus they have beer pong tables. I must say that girls party cheap here cause of the free cover and free drinks at most places. It's totally unneccesary to drink in clubs here, really. There's a casino everywhere where you can sit and "gamble..i.e. penny machines" and tip the cocktail waitress to round up a few rounds for you and your friends.
 
There are a few places to drink cheap in this town. There's a bar on the corner of Flamingo and Audrey (a 1/2 block from the Strip) that is a dive BUT totally worth stopping for 20 minutes to fill on drinks...dollar shots and patron on tap....did I get your attention yet? There's a place at the Aladdin/Planet Hollywood called Blondie's and their local's night has $10 cover for free well drinks plus they have beer pong tables. I must say that girls party cheap here cause of the free cover and free drinks at most places. It's totally unneccesary to drink in clubs here, really. There's a casino everywhere where you can sit and "gamble..i.e. penny machines" and tip the cocktail waitress to round up a few rounds for you and your friends.

I could go to PTs down the road from my house and pay $5 for a Jack and Coke, but its not a place that I typically want to go kick it on a Saturday night (unless its after we've been out and its like 7am). I usually go to the Roadrunner if I just want to drink and have a low key night. I'll reiterate that you pay the extra money because of where you are going. Even the majority of us who grew up here and went to UNLV still go to the trendy clubs/lounges on the strip and will pay more for drinks. Like I said before, I don't care how much I spend on alcohol. Depending on where we go, we usually have some hook-ups anyway and just end up tipping out the bartender at the end of the night. If you like sitting at the Union Plaza and playing nickel/penny slots in order to get a comped drink that's cool. Its just not for me.

BTW- what does Patron "on tap" mean?
 
20 inch blades on the Impala...

Actually my homeslices have to settle for the 14's on my 03 Civic. I've decided not to roll on dubs with rims-still-spinnin until residency. I think that such is written in the Hippocratic Oath.


Homeslice... thats my new favorite word, G!:laugh:🙂