Spina bifida and interventional pain procedures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GottaHaveIt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I saw a patient with history of spina bifida today. He is being referred for possible a disc herniation. I am getting an MRI.

I have not had this situation before. Is it even safe for these type of patients to undergo interventional spine procedures? If they have incompletely formed posterior elements (plus a possible meningiocele) it seems risky to go poking around in there.

What do you guys do in this setting? Is it okay for say spina bifida occulta and not other forms?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I saw a patient with history of spina bifida today. He is being referred for possible a disc herniation. I am getting an MRI.

I have not had this situation before. Is it even safe for these type of patients to undergo interventional spine procedures? If they have incompletely formed posterior elements (plus a possible meningiocele) it seems risky to go poking around in there.

What do you guys do in this setting? Is it okay for say spina bifida occulta and not other forms?
Need imaging/history. Incomplete spinous arch formation is a weekly incidental finding. Actual meningomyelocele is a much more nuanced matter, associated with Chiari malformation until proven otherwise..

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
On the ambulatory, fully functional
Patients it will be just a little disconnect of the lamina near the spinous process. Just avoid an interlaminar there.

Reactions: 1 users