Spinal cord stimulator in patient with epidural lipomatosis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

painfre

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have a motivated patient with failed back surgery and bilateral lumbar radiculopathy.
Although routinely, I do not ask for thoracic MRI before trial, requested in this patient, since I got enough time before scheduling a trial

MRI thoracic spine report showed compression fracture at T8 vertebral body and T9 vertebral body, diffuse posterior epidural fat deposition seen throughout thoracic spine most notably from T3-T9 which showed Diffuse multilevel thoracic canal stenosis resulting in marked overall volume of thecal sac and epidural spaces from T6-T9.
AP diameter is not provided.
Unfortunately, I cannot paste the MRI images here.

Any experience of spinal cord stimulator placement in patients with epidural lipomatosis causing stenosis. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

email pics so I can post for you.
Epidural lipomatosis is not compressible. Talk to your surgeons about this fat vs subQ fat. I would not go above T9 for this patient.

Side note...anyone have any luck with decompression for their patients with lumbar spinal stenosis due to epidural lipomatosis? The surgeon where I'm at won't operate on it and I have little left to offer after epidurals. Guess I could go to stim but would rather have it decompressed before considering that. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Side note...anyone have any luck with decompression for their patients with lumbar spinal stenosis due to epidural lipomatosis? The surgeon where I'm at won't operate on it and I have little left to offer after epidurals. Guess I could go to stim but would rather have it decompressed before considering that. Thoughts?

Surgery Won't help.

Weight loss apparently really only way to reduce compressive symptoms with epidural fat...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Agree, recent fellowship grad here. Our teaching was give 1 ESI if they have epidural lipomatosis and if they have significant improvement it can provide a window for increased activity/weight loss. If fails then nothing more to do.