1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

spinal for TURBT

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by GaseousClay, Sep 5, 2014.

1. GaseousClay

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    do most of you do the TURBT under GA because of the obturator reflex or are you guys doing spinal + obturator blocks or just spinal?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ipassgas

Ipassgas ASA Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I just do GA. Not because of any reflex, but because of PACU time and space.
    The case usually takes 15 minutes, but can take an hour. I don't have a 15 minute spinal that I can instantly turn into an hour spinal.
    I also can't have ten people waiting around for sensation to return, thus General Anesthesia.

Edit: if I have a compelling reason to do a spinal vs general, I have no problem doing a spinal. It's just that in most comers, General is equally safe and speeds throughput (mainly due to PACU).

#2 Ipassgas, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
    dhb likes this.
  4. psychbender

psychbender Cynical Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    GA, as well. In residency, most of these were under SAB, but my current Urologists all want GA, because of the obturator reflex (although, was never an issue in residency), and because they all think they will be really quick and a spinal will be overkill. They do not seem to realize that I've been watching the clock, and the usual induction to end of procedure time is regularly an hour or so, very rarely faster. They also don't leave the PACU any faster with GA, because of nursing issues. Occasionally, a patient with have moderate or severe COPD, and the Urologist is concerned about our ability to extubate afterwards, so they ask for a spinal. Jokes on them, because so far I have never been concerned about my ability to extubate, and I love doing spinals.

5. Southpaw

Southpaw ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i do a spinal if i feel it's appropriate for the patient, or a general if not. i prefer a general as these cases are usually short. i only have one urologist who openly whines when i do a spinal, and since i have clear reasons for doing what i do, i just ignore him and move on with my day. and the case goes just fine....

JobsFan and BLADEMDA like this.
  6. BuzzPhreed

Attending Physician
    Always GA. Any bladder surgery. Even prostates. Most urologists in our area are doing TUVPs instead of the classic TURPs, which uses NS instead of glycine. A good GA with an LMA is faster. Doesn't matter that they're in lithotomy. I typically use a Supreme LMA. Unless they are huge then they get an ETT.

In PP, it's all about turnover. Learn that in residency. Practice it. Get good at it.

7. Oggg

2+ Year Member

Hmm. Now I'm confused. We do LMA for 99% of our TURBTs. One old urologist always demands spinal anesthesia to avoid the obturator reflex. One time I did GA and obturator blocks bilaterally, but it took me longer than I wanted, and then it turned out to be a ditzel TURBT, so I have no idea if it worked. I suppose you'd have to use sux to really abolish the reflex under GA.

8. Arch Guillotti

Arch Guillotti Senior Member
    Administrator Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Spinal shouldn't block the obturator reflex.

9. BuzzPhreed

Attending Physician
    I've personally done or supervised probably close to 300 of these since I became a fully fledged consultant anesthesiologist in 2007 (we work with a large urology group that sees a lot of pathology... partial nephrectomies are almost a weekly occurrence... at least three DaVinci prostates per week, and I'm not in a huge practice or huge city... and not at even the biggest hospital in my city).

I've never personally seen nor heard of this mythical obturator reflex, even with significant lateral wall disease in some of these patients... other than reading about it in case reports. Spinal won't obliterate direct distal nerve stimulation which is supposedly the root cause of this. Most patients would not like an obturator block, I'd imagine.

Not terribly inclined to change my practice at this point. Hope I don't get burned.

10. Oggg

2+ Year Member

Makes sense that the spinal would not obliterate that response. I always thought it was weird that that urologist asked for SAB all the time.

11. Arch Guillotti

Arch Guillotti Senior Member
    Administrator Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have seen it before and it's pretty impressive.

12. BuzzPhreed

Attending Physician
    Oh, I believe it happens. Did it perf the bladder in your case?