Spinal Implant and Antibiotic Prophylaxis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peg lateral

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a new patient this week with a spinal implant that was placed in his knee. The purpose of the implant is to help control pain-- it uses low voltage stimulation to block the feeling of pain. Anyways, my question is in regards to antibiotic prophylaxis. Are patients at risk for developing infection around the implant after receiving routine dental care? I couldn't find any information specifically on implant devices so I went ahead and premedicated the patient just to be safe, but I was curious if anyone knows if they have to be. And also, do these devices risk being damaged if a Cavitron is used on these patients?

Members don't see this ad.

I had a new patient this week with a spinal implant that was placed in his knee. The purpose of the implant is to help control pain-- it uses low voltage stimulation to block the feeling of pain. Anyways, my question is in regards to antibiotic prophylaxis. Are patients at risk for developing infection around the implant after receiving routine dental care? I couldn't find any information specifically on implant devices so I went ahead and premedicated the patient just to be safe, but I was curious if anyone knows if they have to be. And also, do these devices risk being damaged if a Cavitron is used on these patients?

To my knowledge you only premed for full joint replacements. http://www.ada.org/2157.aspx

To my knowledge you only premed for full joint replacements. http://www.ada.org/2157.aspx

That seems like a dental school answer.

1. Call the surgeon who placed the implant. After talking to him fax a med clearance.
2. Call the manufacturer of the device and ask about EMF producing devices and how they interact with the device.

This is an off label use of this implant and if you were in private practice this could lead to some sticky legal issues if something went wrong. Get med clearance from the Doc and ur clear and informed.