spinal tap

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilmo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for my anatomy class we have to memorize all the structures that a midline spinal tap needle will penetrate in order. sigh. so, i need a clever way to keep this information in my brain long enough for the exam. perhaps a funny mnemonic is in order. help!

here's the order:
1. skin
2. subcutaneous tissue
3. supraspinous ligament
4. interspinous ligament
5. ligamentum flavum
6. fatty tissue
7. dura mater
8. arachnoid mater

Members don't see this ad.

"but...this one goes to eleven"

:horns:SPINAL TAP:horns:

Looking over that for less than half-an-hour should get it memorized. What helps for me is if I look over something just before I go to sleep, it seems to "sink" in overnight.

Members don't see this ad :)
fpr85 said:
maybe you'll find something good here: www.medicalmnemonics.com

already browsed it with high hopes...........only to find nothing. however, i did find a bunch of other cool mnemonics.

Well looks like there's no way around it, just do it!

lilmo said:
:
1. skin
2. subcutaneous tissue
3. supraspinous ligament
4. interspinous ligament
5. ligamentum flavum
6. fatty tissue
7. dura mater
8. arachnoid mater

super slimey serpant invades loose females during arousal

LOL, I skipped ANS physiology for this????

felipe5 said:

:laugh: Very creative! :laugh:

felipe5 said:

LOL, I skipped ANS physiology for this????

nice. i knew there was a much more amusing way to learn the material than to simply sit and memorize it. thanks dude!

lilmo said:
for my anatomy class we have to memorize all the structures that a midline spinal tap needle will penetrate in order. sigh. so, i need a clever way to keep this information in my brain long enough for the exam. perhaps a funny mnemonic is in order. help!

here's the order:
1. skin
2. subcutaneous tissue
3. supraspinous ligament
4. interspinous ligament
5. ligamentum flavum
6. fatty tissue
7. dura mater
8. arachnoid mater

She Said See I Like F*cking Doctors, @$$hole.

This is one of those cases where (for me anyway) simply understanding the anatomy of the region in question was a lot more efficient than memorizing an mnemonic. The prefixes and suffixes will guide your way in anatomy!

Here is how I remember a spinal tap:

Doctor: ok, just a pinch to administer the local anesthetic
Me: (ok not too painful)
Doctor: now some pressure
Me: Ah, Ah, Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!
Doctor: does it hurt?
Me: ahhhhhhh!
Doctor: where?
Me: right where the needle is!

:laugh:

That wasn't a fun experience. And I got the "post spinal headache" too. Then back to get a blood patch. The whole process pretty much sucked.

(sorry, I know this doesn't help for your mnemonic :D )

Members don't see this ad :)
TTSD said:
She Said See I Like F*cking Doctors, @$$hole.

fabulous! that's definitely a mnemonic that will stick with me for a long time. now if only i could stop laughing long enough to remember what term goes with what.

lilmo said:
fabulous! that's definitely a mnemonic that will stick with me for a long time. now if only i could stop laughing long enough to remember what term goes with what.

Kind of like the other two:

<Facial Nerves> Three Zebras Bit My ****

<Cranial Nerves> Oh Oh Oh To Touch And Feel A(uditory Vestibular) Girl's Vagina So Hot!

lol, I almost blacked out after getting blood drawn (lack of oxygen to the brain or something), no way in hell I'll ever be getting a spinal tap :laugh:

dnelsen said:
Here is how I remember a spinal tap:

Doctor: ok, just a pinch to administer the local anesthetic
Me: (ok not too painful)
Doctor: now some pressure
Me: Ah, Ah, Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!
Doctor: does it hurt?
Me: ahhhhhhh!
Doctor: where?
Me: right where the needle is!

:laugh:

That wasn't a fun experience. And I got the "post spinal headache" too. Then back to get a blood patch. The whole process pretty much sucked.

(sorry, I know this doesn't help for your mnemonic :D )

actually, if the doctor doing the spinal tap is performed exactly on the midline the ligamentum flavum won't be pierced as it has a small gap on the midline. That was a question on one of the previous years exams at my school.

MErc44 said:
actually, if the doctor doing the spinal tap is performed exactly on the midline the ligamentum flavum won't be pierced as it has a small gap on the midline. That was a question on one of the previous years exams at my school.

I was waiting for some nerdaling to bring this point up. =D

TTSD said:
Kind of like the other two:

<Facial Nerves> Three Zebras Bit My ****

<Cranial Nerves> Oh Oh Oh To Touch And Feel A(uditory Vestibular) Girl's Vagina So Hot!

A slightly different version

Oh Oh Oh To Touch And Feel Virgin Girl's Vagina And Hymen

lilmo said:

here's the order:
1. skin
2. subcutaneous tissue
3. supraspinous ligament
4. interspinous ligament
5. ligamentum flavum
6. fatty tissue
7. dura mater
8. arachnoid mater
How about a mnemonic that follows what happens, and when? I think it helps to think that the needle makes a little sound effect-style noise as it proceeds slowly helps (3 s's, 2 i's, then one f, one d, one a).

Imagine it goes "ssssssssssssss... iiii... lf.. da!" That's what it's like to do (or get) an LP. (Experiential learners, in the hizz-ouse!)

Or you could use "slowly... slowly... slowly... in... lower... farther... damn! All right!"

MErc44 said:

ah, do I sense another dragon in the house?

Your best bet is to just think about it, rather than strictly memorize it. If you walk yourself through it, you'll pretty much have it memorized.

It has to go through skin, so what's under skin? That's right, SQ. Then you hit the ligaments of the vertebrae. Supraspinous comes first; the interspinous ligaments are just what they say they are. Right before you hit the cord, you hit the ligmentum flavum, with the fatty tissue underneath. Then all that's left is the dura and then the arachnoid.

kutastha said:
Your best bet is to just think about it, rather than strictly memorize it. If you walk yourself through it, you'll pretty much have it memorized.

It has to go through skin, so what's under skin? That's right, SQ. Then you hit the ligaments of the vertebrae. Supraspinous comes first; the interspinous ligaments are just what they say they are. Right before you hit the cord, you hit the ligmentum flavum, with the fatty tissue underneath. Then all that's left is the dura and then the arachnoid.

and that would be the exact same order i have them memorized using my handy little mnemonic. looks like it works both way.

On my exam yesterday, I was asked this same question. I did not remember all the layers but I did remember "see she said, I like f'ing doctors a$$hole" For the F, I just wrote fascia.

lilmo said:
and that would be the exact same order i have them memorized using my handy little mnemonic. looks like it works both way.

Of course it does. Probably just the difference between first and third year.