Spine fellowship advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

US_FMG

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Spine fellowship job prospects

SDN Members don't see this ad.
Hi,

I have been offered a Spine fellowship. I am familiar with the ACGME accredited anesthesia based pain fellowships but dont know much about the spine fellowships. I did a search and did not come up with much except for the differences between the two. Any help is appreciated:

1. Is there a certain board exam we can take following the fellowship?

2. What are the job prospects following the fellowship?

3. Are there limitations as to where you can practice or who will re-imburse for the procedures?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Spine fellowship job prospects

SDN Members don't see this ad.
Hi,

I have been offered a Spine fellowship. I am familiar with the ACGME accredited anesthesia based pain fellowships but dont know much about the spine fellowships. I did a search and did not come up with much except for the differences between the two. Any help is appreciated:

1. Is there a certain board exam we can take following the fellowship?

2. What are the job prospects following the fellowship?

3. Are there limitations as to where you can practice or who will re-imburse for the procedures?

Thanks for your help!

1. The most common/prestigious board exam available that I know of is the ABPM exam. The ABIPP exam is highly thought of but more people seem to take the ABPM exam.

2. Prospects are actually quite good. ASC's usually won't care about ACGME cert so much. A few hospitals do but most don't. I think the key is how many different procedures will you learn? Some only do lumbar procedures while others include things like cervical discograms, vertebroplasty etc. The more interventional, the more desirable you'll be. I think everything being equal it would be better to go to an non-ACGME fellowship run out of a university vs one in a private clinic. University isn't going anywhere and brand-name recognition goes a long way to easing minds. That being said if the private clinic fellowship is doing way more invasive procedures and greater numbers while the university is just teaching bread and butter then private clinic fellowship wins out IMHO.

3. So far I haven't heard of a difference in reimbursement. But with all this healthcare reform who the heck knows what the future will hold?