Spine fellowship: ortho vs. neuro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surge

Medicinski Znanstvenik
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, if I understand it correctly, one can do a spine fellowship either after an ortho or a neurosurgical residency, right?
Is there any difference, or benefit to having done one or the other? Do you work different types of cases or use a different approach? How competitive are spine fellowships?

Thanks,

Serge

Members don't see this ad.

Good question......I wonder if Ortho--->spine deal mainly with with the vertrebral column (fractures, stability, etc) and neuro--->spine would deal more with spinal cord abnormalities (tumors, vascular malformations, etc). I would guess that both would be qualified to do "bread and butter" type stuff (discs, lamys, stenosis).

Again, this is just conjecture on my part...anyone else have anything elso to add?

you hit the nail on the head tubal. There is another major difference. Ortho spine take ortho call for their group, so they are nailing tibias when they are on call. Neuro spine take Neuro call, so they are doing craniotomies on their call. I guess you have to decide what you want your five years of training to be, what kind of call you want, and on what area of the spine you want to focus.