Spine Transplant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, this certainly is a very promising medical advance for all of the patients who suffer from interminable chronic back pain. It will be interesting to see where this new advance leads neurosurgeons to in the coming years. This is most definitely a medical breakthrough that has not been rivaled in a long while.

arthroplasties with the Bryon disc and Charite are getting much more attention these days. preliminary results show they are far superior to normal fusions, but not quite as good as the natural vertebrae.

Still, given limited resources, i think artificial discs will trump transplants for many years into the future until we grow vertebrae or are allowed to harvest spines from idiots proving unworthy of them (joke)

interesting thought though

one drawback: the artificial disc is geared towards the cervical spine, and low-lumbar spine (esp. L5-S1). still, i don't see transplants gaining headway on artificial discs anytime in the near future.

Still, given limited resources, i think artificial discs will trump transplants for many years into the future until we grow vertebrae or are allowed to harvest spines from idiots proving unworthy of them (joke)

funniest thing i've read all day, lmao:D