1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Spine Transplant

Discussion in 'Neurosurgery' started by soeagerun2or, Mar 22, 2007.

1. soeagerun2or

soeagerun2or Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Medicale

Pre-Medical
    Well, this certainly is a very promising medical advance for all of the patients who suffer from interminable chronic back pain. It will be interesting to see where this new advance leads neurosurgeons to in the coming years. This is most definitely a medical breakthrough that has not been rivaled in a long while.

4. naegleria brain

2+ Year Member

arthroplasties with the Bryon disc and Charite are getting much more attention these days. preliminary results show they are far superior to normal fusions, but not quite as good as the natural vertebrae.

Still, given limited resources, i think artificial discs will trump transplants for many years into the future until we grow vertebrae or are allowed to harvest spines from idiots proving unworthy of them (joke)

interesting thought though

one drawback: the artificial disc is geared towards the cervical spine, and low-lumbar spine (esp. L5-S1). still, i don't see transplants gaining headway on artificial discs anytime in the near future.

5. WaZoBia

WaZoBia Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

funniest thing i've read all day, lmao:D