SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

spironolactone on the heart

Discussion in 'Step I' started by Lany, May 28, 2008.

1. Lany

Lany 2+ Year Member

May 24, 2008
    spironolactone dec. mortality in class III and IV CHF pxts.

in uworld "spironolactone in HF patients are more than likely secondary to inhibition of the neurohormonal effects of aldosterone leading to decreased ventricular remodeling and cardiac fibrosis". Can anyone explain it beyond this? what neurohormonal effect? Is it because spironolactone inhibits aldosterone working on the heart compared to other diuretics which decreases aldosterone altogether?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. 45408

45408 aw buddy 7+ Year Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Ha, I think I had this question today or yesterday. Other diuretics (ACE inhibitors) that decrease aldosterone can eventually be overridden, and aldosterone then continues to exert its effects. If you directly block its receptor (spironolactone, eplerenone) in addition to blocking the renin-ang-aldo system (an ACE-i), then you can further prolong longevity.
  4. osli

osli Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Oct 13, 2005
    Yeah, I think that's often referred to as the "aldosterone escape" of ACEi's and ARB's. Spironolactone does not suffer from aldosterone escape for the reason TheProwler stated above.