• The site has been updated!

If you see any bugs, please report them in this thread.

spleen rupture?

automan

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
what is the name of the condition where you can have spontaneous splenic rupture that goljan talks about.

He mentions this many times, that you can't play contact sports, etc....

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
A bar room in Mombasa drinking gin
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
what is the name of the condition where you can have spontaneous splenic rupture that goljan talks about.

He mentions this many times, that you can't play contact sports, etc....
Ehlers-Danlos syndrome type IV is noted for spontaneous splenic, hepatic and vascular ruptures, as well as spontaneous perforations of the bowel.

About the Ads

hyperbaric

Cool under pressure.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Ehlers-Danlos syndrome type IV is noted for spontaneous splenic, hepatic and vascular ruptures, as well as spontaneous perforations of the bowel.

Zebra.

"Splenic rupture is usually precipitated by a crushing injury or severe blow. Much less often, it occurs in the apparent absence of trauma. Such "spontaneous ruptures" never occur in truly normal spleens, but rather stem from some minor physical insult to a spleen that has been rendered fragile by an underlying condition. The most common predisposing conditions are infectious mononucleosis, malaria, typhoid fever, and lymphoid neoplasms. "

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
A bar room in Mombasa drinking gin
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
Zebra.

"Splenic rupture is usually precipitated by a crushing injury or severe blow. Much less often, it occurs in the apparent absence of trauma. Such "spontaneous ruptures" never occur in truly normal spleens, but rather stem from some minor physical insult to a spleen that has been rendered fragile by an underlying condition. The most common predisposing conditions are infectious mononucleosis, malaria, typhoid fever, and lymphoid neoplasms. "
I wasn't saying EDS IV was the answer, I was just pointing out a possibility since it is a condition that is well documented to have spontaneous ruptures with no antecedent symptoms in patients. And not to pick an argument, but I would imagine that there are more cases of EDS IV in the US than typhoid or malaria.

hyperbaric

Cool under pressure.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I wasn't saying EDS IV was the answer, I was just pointing out a possibility since it is a condition that is well documented to have spontaneous ruptures with no antecedent symptoms in patients. And not to pick an argument, but I would imagine that there are more cases of EDS IV in the US than typhoid or malaria.

And I was teasing you for pointing out an uncommon etiology of an uncommon event. Hence the zebra.

And, FYI, I am quite aware of the relative frequencies of EDS (and all its subtypes) vs typhoid and malaria in the US. But, I wasn't aware that the discussion was limited to spontaneous slpenic rupture in the US. The info I posted is from Robbins, so your suggestion regarding the above mentioned frequencies might best be served to the authors/editors of that text.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.