Split Between Majors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed414

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm considering 2 situations and I'm not sure which to pick.

Scenarios

1) Majoring in Psychology. I will gain research experience starting at the beginning of junior year, and will allow me to keep a GPA of 3.9+. Would graduate with honors and do independent research senior year for a thesis. However, the problem here would be science recommendations, I would probably have to resort to TAs and such, and I feel like my science recommendations would not be as strong.

2) Majoring in Neural Science. I will gain good access to research. My ENTIRE schedule would be science courses up until senior year (which schools will not see when I apply, grade wise). I would do honors as well. It is a small department so I feel my science recs would be good as the class size is very small, but however it is much tougher in terms of classes, and I feel could drop my GPA. (I would only have 2 non-science classes by the time I apply as well).

I realize these arnt the ONLY options, but they are the ones I am seriously considering right now. What should I do and why?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Which one are you more interested in? The only important question. If you pick psych, it won't be hard to take a couple of extra upper-level science courses to get good recs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Number 1. Because when med schools are reviewing your application, the level of importance of your GPA, MCAT, ECs, goes something along the lines of...

1. GPA
2. MCAT
3. ECs
4. Essays/LOR

I know some people will disagree with the above ^ ranking of importance, but give or take, GPA > LOR in importance.

Which one are you more interested in? The only important question. If you pick psych, it won't be hard to take a couple of extra upper-level science courses to get good recs.

Yep, I know a psych major who's pre-pharm and she has no problems fitting in upper-level science classes. Just make an extra effort to get to know your science professors and you should be fine. Also, it kind of sounds like you're already stressing over the neural science major, lol.

The challenge might help you prepare your studying skills for medical schools. If you think you can keep above a 3.7-3.8 I wouldnt be too worried. :corny:

lol, thanks everyone. I really appreciate it.

You should cut yourself right in half. That way, half of you can do psych, the other have can do neuro.

So shall it be written.

natural science says "nooo!!!!!! do not cut OP in half! i give him up to psychology"

(flowrate, this is your cue to say, "natural science is clearly the true major for the OP.")