Sports Medicine Full-time??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My family doctor told me that most primary care sports physicians practice family medicine full-time, and do sports on the side. However, is it possible for primary care sports physicians (FM resdiency + SM fellowship) to practice sports medicine full-time?

Members don't see this ad.

My family doctor told me that most primary care sports physicians practice family medicine full-time, and do sports on the side. However, is it possible for primary care sports physicians (FM resdiency + SM fellowship) to practice sports medicine full-time?

In most parts of the country, it's probably extremely difficult to open a full time private practice devoted purely to sports medicine. Professional and major college sports teams employ their own physicians. There just isn't enough demand.

Additionally, I'm not sure that "sports medicine" is officially recognized by the board of medical specialties, thus many insurance companies reimburse you as a primary care physician.

Look into doing a Sports/Spine fellowship after a PMR residency. You will not be disappointed.