Sports Medicine & Pain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pureride

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions:

1) What types of jobs to FP's take after their sports medicine fellowship?

2) Someone mentioned that Interventional Pain is available to FP's? Is interventional pain the same as a plain pain fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

What types of jobs to FP's take after their sports medicine fellowship?

Many of them partner with orthopedic surgeons. Some become team physicians. Some do primary care and sports medicine on the side.

Someone mentioned that Interventional Pain is available to FP's?

Not to my knowledge. Interventional pain types are anesthesiologists.

As far as FP's doing interventional pain fellowships. I read that on this forum under the Pain medicine heading.

If you have time read the following thread, its pretty interesting.
If the link I posted below dosent work then

Under the residencies
Click Pain Medicine
find the thread named "pain fellowships"

thats where I read, FP's are now "allowed" to apply for interventional pain fellowships.

As far as the sports trained Fp's, thanks for the info.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=311915

Members don't see this ad :)
While FP/Neurology/Psych/Anesth/PM&R are all "allowed" to enter interventional pain fellowships the majority of these fellowships go to Anest, followed by PM&R, with the others as a very small percentage....it is considered to be a very competative fellowship to obtain

Thank you for the info TAUS.

Are the numbers published somewhere showing the breakdown of applicant pool and matching?

IN other words how many FP's applied for pain and how many got it.

Also, is there a difference between an interventional pain fellowship and just plain "pain" medicine fellowship?

Thank you
:)

Thank you for the info TAUS.

Are the numbers published somewhere showing the breakdown of applicant pool and matching?

IN other words how many FP's applied for pain and how many got it.

Also, is there a difference between an interventional pain fellowship and just plain "pain" medicine fellowship?

Thank you
:)
no problem...you can try posting your question in the Pain Medicine Forum for a more detailed answer. However, I can tell you with a good amount of certainty that the % of FP's getting a Pain Medicine Fellowship is extremely low. Also, it likely couldn't be one of the AGCME fellowships, as only Neuro, Psych, PM&R and Anest. cant become "board certified" in Pain to the best of my knowledge. I have read about it happening though....but it shouldn't be something to be counted on obtaining after FP. Again, the Pain forums can give you a more precise answer.

Thanks again.
I will try your suggestion as I defintaley see myself going into pain management with of without a pain fellowship.

There are new changes that are taking place that will allow anyone with a ACGME residency to apply for any of the ACGME Pain Fellowships as of July 2007. This information is available on the ACGME website.

It is true that some IM and FM trained folks have been admitted to these fellowships in the past, but the amount were less than the fingers on your hand.

There is a huge bias to take anesthesiology trained residents at this time. Most of the programs are ran by the anesthesiology dept. Only a few are PM&R. None are neuro or psychiatry based.

This is a rapidly changing field. Reimbursements are high now, but it needs to be to pay for all the equipment and staff need to run a proper clinic. It looks like this field will be taking a hit by medicare reimbursements in the near future. The is the fear in the back of their minds.

I just rotated with a pain clinic as part of my anesthesiology rotation. I thought it was actually quite boring and felt like a chiropracters office to me. This is supposed to be one of the best programs in the country as well. Many people are helped by these procedures and keeps them off of some opiod drugs. Insurance companies will have a hard time paying for endless injections forever though.

Don't expect to get much love from those PD's for FM trained docs. Although, most of the residents in anesthesiology that I have spoken to are not as interested in Pain as a fellowship it seems. I believe it is due to the good job outlook for a trained anesthesiologist, so maybe there will be more doors opening in the future. The pain PD told me that there seems to be a lot more PM&R applications this go around.

I think a well trained FM dude would get bored quite easily of the one dimensional work that these guys do, maybe if ya did it on the side or something.

Thanks for the insightfull and informative reply.

You mentioned that the reimbursements are currently high and that they need to be to offset the expensive office equipment.

Could an FP not trained with a pain fellowship but rather a particular interest in pain and with some pain training either as CME courses or pain workships bill for the same procedures that a pain speicalist bills for?

Or is the pain fellowship necessary?

Thanks