Sports Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j4pac

Prior Flight Surgeon PM&R attending guy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since that last post was made on the topic. Does anyone know how competitive the Peds Sports Medicine fellowships are? Also, does anyone know if FP Sports Med programs are willing to take a Pediatrician for fellowship?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

217 views and not one reply? :) That's all I need to know. Getting Peds Sports Med should be a cake walk. Thanks!

Actually Pediatric Sports Medicine is quite competitive. According to the 2015 NRMP Fellowship Match Summary, there were 65 applicants for only 20 slots. Forty of the 65 applicants were US MDs. In fact it was the only pediatric fellowship with more US MD applicants than fellowship slots. I wouldn't count my chickens if I were you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually Pediatric Sports Medicine is quite competitive. According to the 2015 NRMP Fellowship Match Summary, there were 65 applicants for only 20 slots. Forty of the 65 applicants were US MDs. In fact it was the only pediatric fellowship with more US MD applicants than fellowship slots. I wouldn't count my chickens if I were you.

Thank you for the information! I was joking. I was asking the question for my wife, who doesn't go on SDN.

Co-resident matched sports med last year. Here's the hearsay:

It is likely the most competitive fellowship for pediatrics, though this is due mostly to its small size. (And the fact that most peds fellowships are not at all competitive).

Some (but not all) FP Sports Med fellowships will accept peds applications, however they greatly prefer FP residents. For example, I think our resident interviewed at 15/16 of the peds programs he applied to and 1/5 of the FP programs he applied to. (Those numbers are made up, but reflect the general trend).

However there's good news: Sports med is a small world. Publishing case studies and going to conferences and shaking hands and making friends seems to go a very long way.

More good news: A lot of research is being done on injury prevention now that several injury databases (e.g. the NEISS) started in the last 30-40 years are readily accessible. These are projects applicable to sports medicine where most academic centers probably have someone around who is doing that kind of research, even if they don't have a sports medicine department.

Reactions: 1 user