Sports medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flipsyde10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year med student, and decisions must soon be made as to what I actually wanna do with my life. So I've been thinking, and sports medicine seems like something I could do for the rest of my life, and really enjoy the ride along the way. I was wondering a few things about sports med:

1. What is the best route to take to get into a good fellowship (non-surgical). I know that you can go via Medicine, Peds, Family medicine, and Emergency med. I was wondering though which is smiled upon the most by the Sports med gate keepers. I'm trying to decide now if I should do Family or Internal Medicine. (I've also heard PM&R is an option, but I don't think I'm interested in that field so much).

2. What is the compensation like? I know that your primary specialty will decide the basic range of your pay, but how much does a specialty in sports med add on to that?

3. How competitive is the fellowship?

4. What are the chances of getting a job with a college team or better? Are there alot of sports docs that can't actually find a position doing sports medicine (and thus fall back mainly on their primary field)?

Any help will do in this time of anxiety and confusion. :D Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Best route is up for debate but FP is by far the most common and has the most fellowships for sports.

2. From what I've seen it depends on how many procedures you're doing...but usually its from around FP range (150ish) to mid 200s.

3. Fellowships are generally above average competativeness...not like plastics or GI...but there are a limited number of accreditted spots (100ish I think)

4. not sure...