Sports Medicine.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PELE#10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I wanted to find out how competitive it is to get into a Sports medicine program. I am an IMG with a barely passing step 1 score. Do I still have a shot at getting into a FM program that can link me to a sports medicine fellowship.

If I have the opportunity to sign out of the match, as an img, should i do it or should i take my chances and try to match into a better program that could get me the fellowship.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Your Step I score isn't going to matter by the time you apply for a fellowship, although it could certainly affect where you match in residency.

The biggest determinants as far as a fellowship is concerned will be how you performed in residency, along with your other credentials (athletic medicine experience, references, etc.)

Sports med. fellowships are highly sought-after, so you'll have some competition.

I would think that it would be hard to sustain a practice solely in sports medicine. I met a couple of sports medicine docs who still spend at least 50% of their time practicing run of the mill primary care.

McDoctor said:
I would think that it would be hard to sustain a practice solely in sports medicine. I met a couple of sports medicine docs who still spend at least 50% of their time practicing run of the mill primary care.

It all depends on your referral base. We've got two sports medicine guys in our group who work with three orthopods, and that's all they do.