Sports Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey all I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the process/pursuit of working in the field of sports medicine with a DPM. What would you say the pros and cons are?

Members don't see this ad.

These are the only ones I can think of from shadowing a small town sports pod.

Pros:
Most of your patients will not have medicare. This means less paperwork/red tape and better reimbursement. One of my pod's close friends is a Texas sports pod that does have to take medicare patients because his practice is doing so well...

You can get your name out their by working CC/track meets, marathons, etc.

Cons:
Depending on where you work and your experience, you might have to take a variety of patients just to keep your practice alive. My pod has to do this but it gives him a wide range of patients (5 year olds with warts to 100 year olds with Charcot foot) :thumbup:

Hey all I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the process/pursuit of working in the field of sports medicine with a DPM. What would you say the pros and cons are?

pros are you get to work with athletes which is an great experience! the pay is high and the hours are very flexible(more so than private practice) and you get to travel occasionally depending on the level of team you are treating :)

cons are that it takes extra time to get noticed and takes longer to earn that excellent 250K+ a year income, hope that helps

Other than teamplayer being canned, I'd agree that teams are great to work with. A few guys now work in the NFL, NBA, NHL & more to explode as word gets around. The need for lower body treatment is in every sport. Ortho's do big cuts but these DPM's fill the day-to-day needs. Family guys can't do this much as they're dealing with other issues daily. Marketing yourself to a team & talking to their brass & medical team would certainly enhance pods in sports med & the pro game. I'm very interested (ain't it obvious) in this too. It's all about presentation -- AFTER you grad w/ the DPM behind your name.