Sports Vision University Education Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jkomo001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

There are many threads in both pre-optometry and optometry here on sdn, but none have mentioned this program. I think it is relatively new because I remember last time I looked on the AOA website (few months ago) I did not see any mention of this "Sports Vision University."

I was wondering if any of the ODs out there have taken the class from this program, or if any students are planning/currently taking this class.

From what I understand its a four hour lecture on how to be a sports vision optometrist, how to prepare doctors to incorporate sports vision into their offices, and how to manage sport-related eye injuries (I guess kind of like rehab for eye injuries?).

I feel that a four hour course would not be enough to explain all of this in its entirety, especially the training to be a sports vision optometrist; I could somewhat see it being enough time to teach ODs how to incorporate sports vision into their practices though. Is this program more of a way to increase awareness of sports vision or is it actually supposed to "specialize" optometrists to be able to be sports vision therapists.

If you have done this program I was wondering if you could just leave some feedback about it, or even if you have heard some information regarding it. I am going to PCO in the fall and am very interested in the sports vision field. I am trying to figure out what would be the best path to become a sports vision optometrist. I am thinking it may be beneficial enough of a program if I had already completed a residency in vision therapy or binocular vision, maybe?

I know I have a long ways to go before I could pursue my interests in sports vision but it is simply too intriguing to me.

thanks, :)

Members don't see this ad.

It's a relatively new way to practice, so the education isn't quite there. There also isn't, in truth, a lot of research that shows sports vision therapy is worth it. Cincinnati had success, but not everyone does.

OSU has a sports vision club with speakers who have a sports vision element in their practice, as well as sports vision related research.

I don't know of any optom schools that have a true class on the subject, but if PCO does then you'll be fine. Your best bet is to simply talk to optometrists that currently utilize sports vision in practice and get an idea of how they use it.

Hope that helped at least a little bit, or at least gave you a direction to walk. Good luck!

Thanks for the response Roffles, I was unaware of the OSU sports vision club, so now when I go to PCO in the fall I will look for a similar type of group.
I have tried contacting optometrists that utilize sports vision in their offices but have come up empty handed, but I have not tried in a while so I will yet again call around and send out emails.

Members don't see this ad :)
The person who conducted my tour at PCO had the same interest as you. I believe he was a 3rd or 4th year student. I don't want to put his name on this forum, but maybe if you met with him he can give you additional advice regarding the program.
Good luck, and I am looking forward to meeting you this fall!

The person who conducted my tour at PCO had the same interest as you. I believe he was a 3rd or 4th year student. I don't want to put his name on this forum, but maybe if you met with him he can give you additional advice regarding the program.
Good luck, and I am looking forward to meeting you this fall!

Thanks for the response. I know who you are referring to I am pretty sure, actually. I have not contacted him about this though, so thanks for reminding me about him! He is a very helpful guy!

Please keep up the helpful responses guys :)