Spouse income affecting need-based grant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kona91

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am going to be a 1st year dental student at UCSF SoD. The school was generous with its financial aid need-based grant. However, this is when my EFC was 0 when both I and my spouse were in graduate school. Now that my spouse will graduate and work (in SF, assuming starting salary 80K), my EFC according to FAFSA will change to like around 26k due to increase in spousal income ( my parents' financial situation will not differ compared to previous years). If someone went to UCSF or has received need-based grant from your state school (like Colorado Dental), do you know if school would generally reduce need based grant first or would they simply reduce the parameter that I can borrow from Grad Plus and Federal Unsubsidized loan? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Need based grant is reduced first.

Reactions: 1 user
do you know if it will be reduced by as much as FAFSA EFC?

My friend in undergrad grants reduced first and the offered loans kind of increased when he got married due to spouse income. The grants are usually based on the EFC i believe and income. I am not sure if it is reduced as much as the EFC. Usually the EFC is just a number to give the school a picture of how much they should offer you. Your EFC could be 50k and they would still offer you loans up to the cost of attendance but the grants could be eliminated if they see “no need”. I would ask the FA at UCSF to get a full picture on how much it could reduce by