Spouse with moving job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

columbia1314

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here have a spouse or partner who has to move often for work? I’m finishing residency in a specialty and am concerned about potentially having to move every 3 years for a decade or so and having to postpone starting my own practice or becoming a partner somewhere. I’m not married but in a relationship with someone in STEM academia who is trying to do the tenure track thing. Curious to hear thoughts from anyone in a similar situation!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone here have a spouse or partner who has to move often for work? I’m finishing residency in a specialty and am concerned about potentially having to move every 3 years for a decade or so and having to postpone starting my own practice or becoming a partner somewhere. I’m not married but in a relationship with someone in STEM academia who is trying to do the tenure track thing. Curious to hear thoughts from anyone in a similar situation!
What specialty?

Locums May be your friend

Reactions: 1 user
It’s a tricky position to be in. Usually one of the parties will have to sacrifice for the other. I have seen others tag along working at various offices and have no plans to open their office until they are for sure not moving anymore. The other thing is you can find a spot to open up shop and your S/O tries to make it happen in said city. A larger city with multiple universities may be your best bet. My old college chaplains are academics and they have moved at least 3-4 times in the last 10 years. No more than 2-3 years each time.