spouse's income and subsidized loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sustentacular

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm thinking of getting married in the summer between ms1 and ms2. How much would my spouse have to make for me to be disqualified for subsidized student loans? I asked the financial aid dept. at my school and they just said they wouldn't know until I got my fafsa. I've searched the internet and found this:
[FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA]About 2/3 of subsidized Stafford loans are awarded to students with family AGI of under $50,000, 1/4 to students with family AGI of $50,000 to $100,000, and a little less than 10% to students with family AGI over $100,000..
But that doesn't really help me. So I'm looking for some personal anecdotes from married students, something along the lines of "Our AGI was over $$$ and I did/didn't qualify for subsidized loans."

I'd really appreciate it! :)

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm thinking of getting married in the summer between ms1 and ms2. How much would my spouse have to make for me to be disqualified for subsidized student loans? I asked the financial aid dept. at my school and they just said they wouldn't know until I got my fafsa. I've searched the internet and found this:
But that doesn't really help me. So I'm looking for some personal anecdotes from married students, something along the lines of "Our AGI was over $$$ and I did/didn't qualify for subsidized loans."

I'd really appreciate it! :)

I got the full loan package although my wife made > $50, 000. Because we are moving and she will not be working for a while I spoke to my financial aid office and they will add more for dependent care for my two children. My estimated family contribution was $10,000 but that had no bearing on the aid package I got. Hope it helps.

I got the full loan package although my wife made > $50, 000. Because we are moving and she will not be working for a while I spoke to my financial aid office and they will add more for dependent care for my two children. My estimated family contribution was $10,000 but that had no bearing on the aid package I got. Hope it helps.

Thank you! It would just be the two of us and I'm estimating an AGI of about 70,000. I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if I have to borrow 16,000 unsubsidized instead of subsidized for years 3 and 4.

Members don't see this ad :)
My student loans are making me cry and I am not even to med school yet. I'm in my post-bac and will have to take out alternative loans this year. I wish I would have waited to get married. My husbands income is over $100k before taxes and pension and we DON'T have money for school, but I'm ready for more loans!...:eek:

My student loans are making me cry and I am not even to med school yet. I'm in my post-bac and will have to take out alternative loans this year. I wish I would have waited to get married. My husbands income is over $100k before taxes and pension and we DON'T have money for school, but I'm ready for more loans!...:eek:
I'm sorry to hear that! Do you think filing your taxes separately would help at all?

I'm sorry to hear that! Do you think filing your taxes separately would help at all?

I'm not sure. I think you still have to state the spouses/household income on there.

Won't help for financial aid as you have to give household income. And would actually hurt otherwise as outside of some very narrow reasons married-filing separate screws you on taxes.

At the end of the day, your debt is going to be there; and yes some of it may be subsidized and some not. Unless you are prepared to walk away from medicine, then it is just something to be dealt with. :(