Spouses / Significant others in the Caribbean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

oldschool79

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Strongly considering SGU, Ross, AUC, and was wondering if anyone there now or very recently has taken their spouse/significant other? If so....

1. How did they like it?
2. Are there enough activities there, without spending a ridiculous amount of $$, for them to stay occupied and not go stir crazy?
3. Are they allowed access to the same campus support facilities as students, i.e. gym, sports, recreation, food/cafeteria, health services, computer centers, etc?
4. Any reasonable chances of them getting employment?
5. Any extra/special concerns for their safety there?
6. Would they go again?
 
At SGU, there were quite a few students who brought their significant others along. Yes, there was stuff for them to do, like going to the beaches, shopping, sightseeing, diving etc... Many of the SO's found employment in the Department of Educational Services, which basically provides tutoring services to SGU students. The SO's generally seemed quite happy. As for concerns about safety, I would venture they were about the same as for anyone else.
 
I'm 2nd term now. You can just about forget about finding a job for them. There are very few available. Those that are available are connected to SGU. I know the school's daycare on Grand Anse campus could always use 1 or 2 part-time caregivers. Obviously the few that are available are filled by someone so take a look/inquire, but don't come down here planning on them working.

There is an SO group that has beach and pool days during the week and organize other random excursions/fund-raisers during the year. It's a social group. My wife doesn't have too much to do with them but you should check it out.

When you get to the island at some point go to the security office and you can get a Visitor's Pass for 1 year if you supply proof of your enrollment and a passport-size photo of the SO along with your SO's ID (passport will be fine). This allows them access to the campus and the gym/library/comp lab, etc.

Break-ins happen every now and again in Lance Aux E'pines where many faculty/student families live but many like it there. I live near Grand Anse campus and there haven't been any problems in the 6 months we've been here. Treat it like any area, keep your eyes open, be aware at night, and you should be OK in Grand Anse.

Hope that helps, PM me if you want any more info and I'll see if I can help.

Good luck
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah that def. helps. I guess the most important question I had was the access to campus facilities, so she could at the very least do the same things as me, minus the crazy studying of course! The "break ins once in a while" kind of worries me, I guess we'd just have to stick close to campus. I think I will shoot you a pm sometime, just have to think of some good questions, thanks!!
 
yeah when I say break-ins occur "every now and then" I mean that the area has break-ins every now and then multiple robberies at the same place. And it's virtually always when everyone's out and things like purses/laptops/iPods, etc are stolen. I don't think it's much worse than the states, but I certainly don't have any stats to back that up. And like I said you're welcome to PM me if need-be. I'm obviously busy so it may be a few days before I get back to you but I'll try to do so in a timely manner.