XRanger

15+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
my local school is organizing trip this spring break to new orleans to do volunteer work(non-medical), and I'm interested in going, but the only drawback is that it's quite expensive. It's $500-$600 for everything including plane tickets, housing and meal.

Do you think it's worth it? those of you who done similar trip, how's your experience?

ADeadLois

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
my local school is organizing trip this spring break to new orleans to do volunteer work(non-medical), and I'm interested in going, but the only drawback is that it's quite expensive. It's $500-$600 for everything including plane tickets, housing and meal.

Do you think it's worth it? those of you who done similar trip, how's your experience?

$500-600 for airfare, housing and food is a bargain.

NewYorkDoc

10+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
I'm doing this trip actually. Perhaps I'll see you there!

About the Ads

ssquared

10+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
sitting on the dock of the bay...
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
Just make sure that you're doing the service with a legit program. I have family in NOLA (hence the avatar) and they say that oftentimes people show up and don't have a lot to do, or they do work on things that aren't really helping out all that much. When I was down there myself a few weeks ago I saw lots of college age kids cleaning up houses in the lower 9th ward (looks pretty much almost identical to how it did immediately post-Katrina) but since there's no solid plan laid out yet, is it worth it to spend money tearing out moldy floors and walls only to have the house bulldozed in a few months?

This is not to say that there aren't plenty of helpful things to do down in the city. Habitat is helping out a lot of people to build homes that they otherwise couldn't afford, and schools also need a lot of help with the interior rebuilding.

PugMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2006
Virginia
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
If you can afford to, go and help out. I think it's a great experience and would be wonderful to talk about in your medical school interviews.

ICCONFETTI

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
sounds like a good experience! go for it!

Raist05

10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm also on that trip! Should be a pretty fantastic experience!

SuaSponte175

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
One Ranger to another, there is no need to spend money for non-medical related volunteer work. Yes, volunteer work is an important part of the application, but it makes no difference to most admissions where it was done. There is plenty of humanitarian work that can be done in your own community I'm sure, and its all the same.

XRanger

15+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
BTW does doing this makes you standout?

Because it seems like my parents don’t want me to go because first it costs a lot of money and second, apparently new Orleans has become one of the nation’s most dangerous city and the crime rate has skyrocketed, so they’re like unless it really makes you standout or improve your chances, then don’t do it.

So does doing this really help my app? Does volunteering at a natural disaster site any different than volunteering at any other place? Or is it all the same like suasponte said

narc

10+ Year Member
May 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
This is the biggest waste of money i have ever seen. Do you actually think this will help your application. People are going to see right through this.

Spend your time doing something fun. Take a trip somewhere YOU want to go.

And no this is not an experience to talk about at interviews. You went there for a week and dicked around. Who gives a crap. Work there for months and then you have something to talk about. Trust the people who interview you are smart enough to see through BS like this.

Topspin82

Shaken *and* Stirred
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm going to Vegas for Spring Break and it happens to be my birthday as well. My liver stays in NY.

I have no shame.

IceMan0824

Holy crip, he's a crapple
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Paying for community service...totally worth it

Just like the time I went to Hopkins Hospital wanting to volunteer.

Me: I would love to volunteer at Hopkins Hospital. I believe it is a good chance for me to assist where there is a need:
Coordinator: That's good. We have a shortage right now. We need someone to help out on Monday/Tuesday or Wednesday/Thursday from 12pm -5pm.
Me: Hmmm, I work full time. I am willing to help, but I'm limited to just the weekend and after work hours on weekdays.
Coordinator: Well, we don't really need people for those hours. If you want to volunteer here, you have to volunteer at the hours I set.
Me: (Thinks for a second) So how much do I get paid again
Coordinator: We don't pay, it's volunteering
Me: I'm sorry, I forgot, with everything I just heard, I thought I was applying to a job again. My mistake. (Pause). Well thanks for the interview

Now I enjoy my after hours volunteer at Union Memorial.

What was my point again.... Oh right, Paying for community service...totally worth it

IceMan0824

Holy crip, he's a crapple
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
One Ranger to another, there is no need to spend money for non-medical related volunteer work. Yes, volunteer work is an important part of the application, but it makes no difference to most admissions where it was done. There is plenty of humanitarian work that can be done in your own community I'm sure, and its all the same.

This needs a bit more salt.:laugh: :laugh:
It doesn't hurt enough. Good Advice though.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.