Square toed shoes for interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

and 99 others

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Hideous. Who cares about comfort? Women are usually expected to wear heels or some other shoe non-conducive to walking in professional settings while smiling the whole time, so why can't you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Beauty is pain. Wear a classic oxford.

Hideous. Who cares about comfort? Women are usually expected to wear heels or some other shoe non-conducive to walking in professional settings while smiling the whole time, so why can't you?
very fitting with the username

Reactions: 1 user
I see shoes like these, I think they're completely fine. Wear something comfortable and not hideous, that matches. All I can say.

Also, yes, I do notice everyone's shoes.

My Dad used to pay attention to people’s shoes when he interviewed them. He felt it was such an easy thing to overlook, but someone detail-oriented would make an effort to shine their shoes. He felt it was a little thing that showed a lot about how dedicated/interested/detail oriented the interviewee was.

I have no idea what he thought about square toed shoes. Personally I’m not a fan.

Square toed shoes are decidedly not in and haven't been for over a decade. That being said, I doubt most of your interviewers will look at or judge your shoes harshly.

Honestly, if the shoes you're wearing are the thing they remember from your interview, then that would be an issue for more pressing reasons.

SDN fashion threads crack me up.

As unfair as it is, I think women are more likely to be judged on their shoes (and their clothes in general).

However, in the rare case that I note that an applicant, male or female, is wearing something "different", I always give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they are wearing what they are wearing because they could not afford to or did not choose to afford to buy something "better". Which is almost always a plus in my book.

If I saw a young man wearing these shoes, I would certainly not think anything of it. Even if they were the wrong color for the suit, I would just assume that he borrowed them or those were all he had.

Reactions: 1 users
As unfair as it is, I think women are more likely to be judged on their shoes (and their clothes in general).

However, in the rare case that I note that an applicant, male or female, is wearing something "different", I always give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they are wearing what they are wearing because they could not afford to or did not choose to afford to buy something "better". Which is almost always a plus in my book.

If I saw a young man wearing these shoes, I would certainly not think anything of it. Even if they were the wrong color for the suit, I would just assume that he borrowed them or those were all he had.
I agree with this. I do expect the shoes to be clean, in fair condition, and when I say 'match,' I mean like, be appropriate in style (no flip flops) and personally, I think there's no reason not to match by wearing a colour other than black. I say this, because I know that you can get $20 shoes at the evil Walmart or such that will fit the bill. Maybe more difficult for guys with really big feet. Even Goodwill if you're desperate. Just, there's no reason not to have at least black, and reasonable, shoes, at minimum. Beg borrow or steal that much is possible.

As far as "style," I don't really care, I'm not really the most up to date on style anyway.