Program-Specific Info / Q's St Augustine San Marcos

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LAxW

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Was wondering if anyone knows any insight about the St. Augustine San Marcos program? Will be interviewing soon and don't know what to expect

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
Was wondering if anyone knows any insight about the St. Augustine San Marcos program? Will be interviewing soon and don't know what to expect
Hey there! I interviewed there in November. It wasn't as nerve-wracking as you would think! You start off at an info session and then you get split up into groups. One group takes a campus tour and the other group is sent down to interview in the faculty offices, then you switch. The interview is a group interview, I was with 3 other students but you could be with fewer or maybe even more? The interview was more relaxed than I would've imagined, but maybe that is because of the faculty member who interviewed us. You just have to make sure you get a chance to answer the questions efficiently and to the point. I noticed they didn't give much time for responses since it was a group interview. Best of luck!

Hey there! I interviewed there in November. It wasn't as nerve-wracking as you would think! You start off at an info session and then you get split up into groups. One group takes a campus tour and the other group is sent down to interview in the faculty offices, then you switch. The interview is a group interview, I was with 3 other students but you could be with fewer or maybe even more? The interview was more relaxed than I would've imagined, but maybe that is because of the faculty member who interviewed us. You just have to make sure you get a chance to answer the questions efficiently and to the point. I noticed they didn't give much time for responses since it was a group interview. Best of luck!

Thank you so much for the reply, I really appreciate it :) Is this the last of their interviews since you interviewed like last November? LOL

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the reply, I really appreciate it :) Is this the last of their interviews since you interviewed like last November? LOL
Of course! And I'm not sure what round of interviews they are in! I interviewed in November to start for Summer 2017.

Has anyone heard anything about the Fall 2017 OTD program? I've applied, but haven't heard a peep from my advisor since my application was submitted.

Congratulations! Have you been accepted/applied anywhere else? or is USA your first choice!
Thank you! I applied to 4 other schools and got rejected from each, so St. Augustine is where I'm headed!

According to the OTD virtual info session today, they have started reviewing Fall 2017 OT applications. The representative said that thy should be sending interview invitations within the next 5-10 days. Fingers crossed!

Tiffany, have you heard anything about an interview from USA? I applied for the Fall 2017 MOT program, and my application still says under review! So I'm getting a bit nervous!

Has anybody heard anything about the school being for profit? Do you think that it would affect us in any way graduating from a for profit school vs a non for profit? Or is the only concern that you attend an accredited university and pass your NBCOT exam?

Tiffany, have you heard anything about an interview from USA? I applied for the Fall 2017 MOT program, and my application still says under review! So I'm getting a bit nervous!

I ended up having to take a couple more classes to meet their prereqs, and moved my application to the Spring semester. But I haven't heard anything since I moved my application. I am starting the waiting game all over again. Did you ever hear anything?

Has anybody heard anything about the school being for profit? Do you think that it would affect us in any way graduating from a for profit school vs a non for profit? Or is the only concern that you attend an accredited university and pass your NBCOT exam?

I'm a student at the Austin campus (and a tour guide lol). So the main drawback is that for profit = expensive, especially USA. However, the faculty is receptive to feedback and is able to get quick funding for new equipment and materials. For example, the Austin campus had 4 microwaves in the cafe a year ago; we complained about standing in line over our quick break between class to warm up our lunches, and now we have 8. We're building a giant simulation lab with a grocery store, hospital room, and another apartment (I think) and getting medical-grade dummies & hiring standardized patients for Mock lab. We have the SafeGait system attached to our fitness center so we can work with our professors doing research & providing treatment for people from the community. We're starting a club for OT students called TADA! (Technlology and design applications) to give us more practice with making adaptations. All of these use funding from our tuition and from private investors to help make this happen without having to get approved by the state or whoever.

All in all, I wouldn't necessarily say that there's a negative to attending a for-profit school aside from taking on some more debt. If you are able to go to a cheaper school with comparable opportunities for leadership & research & community outreach................................

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a student at the Austin campus (and a tour guide lol). So the main drawback is that for profit = expensive, especially USA. However, the faculty is receptive to feedback and is able to get quick funding for new equipment and materials. For example, the Austin campus had 4 microwaves in the cafe a year ago; we complained about standing in line over our quick break between class to warm up our lunches, and now we have 8. We're building a giant simulation lab with a grocery store, hospital room, and another apartment (I think) and getting medical-grade dummies & hiring standardized patients for Mock lab. We have the SafeGait system attached to our fitness center so we can work with our professors doing research & providing treatment for people from the community. We're starting a club for OT students called TADA! (Technlology and design applications) to give us more practice with making adaptations. All of these use funding from our tuition and from private investors to help make this happen without having to get approved by the state or whoever.

All in all, I wouldn't necessarily say that there's a negative to attending a for-profit school aside from taking on some more debt. If you are able to go to a cheaper school with comparable opportunities for leadership & research & community outreach................................
Thank you!